Depression and Anxiety in young adults

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone, as i've been reading peoples different experiences on sertraline or another antideppressant i've rarely come by one that I can fully relate to and the main reason for that is because i'm a 19 year old male. My story begins about a year ago when I dropped out of school as I had little motivation to do much and didn't care where I ended up in life which was partly due to my mothers ill health and brothers alcoholism. A couple of months after this i was diagnosed with depression and put on citalopram. I returned to school in september to resit the year and complete the course. In december 2015 I decided to come off of citalopram as i found they made me anxious and felt like a zombie whilst taking them. After this I was perscribed sertraline in January 2016. The first 2 - 3 weeks where hell and I wasn't able to go to school as they hightened my anxiety and gave me insomnia as well as made me feel detatched and 'numb'. I've told the school my situation and i still haven't made it back in due to feeling anxious all the time. I'm wondering what other people made of sertraline and do people advise increasing the dose as at the minute i'm only on 50mg and its been a little over 4 weeks.

Please share your stories!

Any reply will be muchly appreciated!!! Thankssmile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Your not alone bro I'm 26 going through the the same thing..I feel like a zombie and I feel like I can't control what I'm doing its scary and depressing
    • Posted

I know the first 2 weeks were the worst, i didn't recognise my own voice, like i knew it was me but there wasn't any feeling there in my head if that makes any sense haha
    • Posted

It's worst bro..2days straight I been thinking I'm going to go crazy..I feel I gave no one
  • Posted

My doc gave me seroquel..I stopped taking it cause it made me feel dead
  • Posted

Just want to tell you have to give medication the proper amount of time to work.  It can take most SSRI's, 6-8 weeks to fully work.  Also some words of advice, that I learned personally. Is don't try to play doctor and come off your medications on your own. The medications we take are changing our brain chemistry, and when you take that out of the equation. You make the symptoms you taking the medication for it first place, WORST! It is important to ween of medications with doctors order.
  • Posted

Hi, Michael:  I take an antidepressant that most people have never heard of, but IMO, it is the best one of all...I take Luvox in the morning, and Cymbalta in the afternoon and one in the evening..These are the right for me..you might ask your doctor.  I have the best doctor in the world here in the USA, so I know they are good together.  It may be good for your chemistry, too...HUGs.
  • Posted

Hi - I can relate to the issues that were in the background when you first started to give  up on things. Livinng with alcoholism  in the  background is awful for young people and if your mother was also ill then well I think you were p robably responding normally to a hellish situation. I am not a medic of any sort so my advice is to do with gut feelings here. I hope that there is some way that you can get some support and help that a/fepressants do not become the whole focus of  this part of your life. Hopefully see it as a temporary thing to get you through along with other stuff that can bring you back to somewhere where you can get on with your life. Counselling/support for families with alcohol problems, suppport for your mum? do not have much detail. There is no perfect pill that can make the world right. They can help get us through some tough times but there are always the side effects and that bit about brain changes etc if we use long term. Good luck to you
  • Posted

It sucks bro! You're only 19, im 21, us guys shouldn't be on this website we should be enjoying life sad depression is such a big thing! I hope all goes well man
    • Posted

Well I wish I knew I had depression at an earlier age.  I really didn't know till I was around 28.  I knew that there was something but just couldn't put my finger on it.  I wish those around me had realized something, and pointed me in the right direction.
  • Posted

You're not alone. Im on sertraline like 2 weeks ago and have insomnia and feel like zombie too.. i have no motivation and cant focus on school or anything.. sad im really worried.

But friend of mine who has anxiety issues 2 years ago was on sertraline for like 6 months and said that it helped her..

But i dont know what to think.. i hope that we will get better. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.