depression and anxiety link

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I have suffered from anxiety for many years worrying about things over which I have no control which often led to a viscious cycle effect.I have a stressful job and home life and have often felt completely overwhelmed by everything going on. In the worst times I would go for almost 3 days without sleep until my body would just shut down and sleep would kick in. Ive been prescribed zopiclone and diazepam in the past which certainly helped but  found i did struggle concentrating at work when using diazepam.Anyway I must say that the zopliclone has been great for sleep problems and I have managed to be in control of it rather than it of me. I was concerned about what I read about quickly becomong dependant on zopiclone and the potentiial viscious circle of it becoming less effective with over use and the insomnia rebound effect of trying to come off it,so Ive just been taking one 7.5 mg zopliclone usually on a friday and sat night to "catch up" with lack of sleep for the rest of the week. Ive recenlty had a  bad bout of anxiety however and my doctor has put me on 15mg mirtazapine once a night before bed. Im on my third day now and I must admit it seems to be doing a great job.Sleeping well and anxiety is much better...its almost as though an anxiety switch in my brain has been flicked off. I can put things into perspective now and Im not stressing about things outside my control which would previously overwhelm me and almost stop me being able to function on a day to day basis. The only downsides so far are headaches...not awful but "nagging" although Im told they should hopefully pass after the first week...and also a lack of being as alert as one would normally be. However those seem a small price to pay for the general benefit of feeling far more relaxed and peaceful.Early days but if mirtazapine continues to work like this Im happy to stay on it for years to come. I think that what I thought were anxiety attacks have actually been primariily caused by depresssion although I appreciate the two are linked.

One other odd side effect I shoud comment upon is that mirtazapine seems to have significantly desensitized me to pain and I wondered if anyone else has experience this with this drug? I was training in the gym earlier today and felt far less pain when weight training than previously,my body feeling totally numb,Very odd. Anyway good luck to anyone who starts on this drug.I will report back in a week or so with an update when hopefully the headches will have stopped.You also do feel very sleppy when first taking mirtazapine but again hopefully that should wear off after the first week or so,

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am tapering off Mirt and have only been on it for 3months I have put on a stone in this time and after being on it for 6wks I was in absolute agony with crippling joint pain which is a side affect. 

Everyone is different though so all I can say is good luck 😀

• Posted

This drug long term gave me sleep apnea as soon as I stopped so did this
  • Posted

Mirt did exactly the same for me. I too thought I would take it forever....then came the weight. I gained 3.5 stone in just over a year which brings a misery all of its own. Do be careful.
  • Posted

I loved mirt when first started taking it, however 3 months later and I'm off it. 2 stone weight gain and after talking to my partner he said I seem more with it after coming off them he said it was like I wasn't quite all there ... Just be careful x
    • Posted

Thanks for taking the trouble to comment.

I can see how it would be possible to gain weight with mirt. Since starting it I dont feel hungry at all and feel as though I could go all day without eating but when I do eat I cant really taste the food and cant actually feel my stomach becoming full. I think that as long as I just "remind" myself to eat at nromal times and normal portions It should be ok,Was it that way with you or did you actually feel hungry whilst taking mirt? Also may I ask what dose you were taking ...was it 15mg each night and how did you taper off? Did the depression/anxiety return or did a short "blast" with mirt have a lasting effect after you stopped taking it?

Thanks

• Posted

I tapered off 10% per month. I stopped when I reached 7.5. I now take Trazodole. Carb cravings are getting better by the day. I refuse to even think about possible side effects as I must stay off this drug. The weight caused so many associated health problems. 

You will find that you need to eat less that what you think is 'normal' as this drug messes with your insuline and draws the sugar from the blood and the body thinks it is diabetic so hence the carb cravings.

it may have helped if I had half an idea this would happen.

If your weight starts rising then it will not stop. So forewarned is forearmed .

be either very strong or very cautious.

• Posted

Hi Spencer

Im glad you've managed to find some relief and now managing to sleep ok.  Mirt' definately gave me the munchies, usually after my even ing meal I would feel ravenous.  I think it is unusual not to have an appetite as you say you feel.

Bear in mind that the lower doses of Mirt (15mg and lower) are more sedating and will have up to 24 hours slow release sedation, it lasts me 24/7.  Lower doses are usually used for anx & insomnia, the higher dose 30 or 45 mg (max) for depression.  I would hang on in there at 15mg if you feel it is doing the job for you ~ many folk on the forum have great difficulty with the 30.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Hi Loarrain was just wondering what you meant  about the carb cravings and can mirt cause Diabetes, Im really worried.

• Posted

It doesn't cause Diabetis. It causes the bodies insulin to draw sugar from the  blood and the  body craves carbs to replace it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.