Depression and Anxiety - What's Normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have suffered with depression and anxiety for the last 8 months.

I take Mirtazapine, 30mg for 10 weeks, Venłafaxine, 225mg for 4 weeks and Quetiapine, 100mg for 2 weeks.  This is my first bout of major depression and I'd really appreciate advice from anyone who has been through this and has come or is coming out the other side.

Over the last couple of weeks I have felt very slightly better.  Mornings remain my worse time, I sometimes wake with anxiety, this can pass after I'm up and about but doesn't always.  My mood is still very low in the mornings but not as deeply low as it has been.  Last week I had good afternoons and evenings but this weekend I seem worse again.

Is this normal?  Is it a sign of getting better or just the normal ups and downs of depression?  When you do start to recover what happens? I know it depends on lots of different things and that everyone is different but as I haven't been through this before I'd be really grateful for your thoughts or views.

Thank you very much

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have suffered from severe depression along with other issues for a long time.  I think it's important to remember that we don't just suddenly become depressed, it usually builds up over a period of time and therefore does not disappear overnight.

The fact that you are now having periods of time where you are feeling slightly better is a good sign, and it is important to hold on to those moments.  Maybe keep a mood diary and see if there is a pattern that leads to you feeling a bit better so you can try to use it when you are having low periods.  I would say to you that you seem to be turning a corner, yes you will still have down days, but hopefully with time the good times will overtake the bad.  

I hope this makes sense, also, don't stop taking your medication just because you are feeling a bit better.  Only start to lower the dose with your doctors advice, once he/she feels that you are ready. 

• Posted

Hello, thank you for your response and I'm sorry that you've suffered badly for a long time.  Do you take medication?

I won't be making any changes to my medication, unless to increase it under my psychiatrists advice, as I know I'll need to be on medication for a long time to come.  

x

• Posted

Hi,  you're welcome.  Yes I do take medication, I have had changes made over the years because sometimes it takes a while to get one that suits without side effects.  I am now on the full dose of Sertraline and have been on that for over a year, I also take two types of anti-anxiety tablets too.

I hope you have a good relationship with your psychiatrist, it does make a difference.  We have had lots of changes of staff where I live, but my current psychiatrist is really good.

If you need to chat, I do check my emails most days.  : )

• Posted

Thank you, that's very kind. I will take you up on the offer x
  • Posted

To Clarify are you now taking all 3 meds you mentioned ?

Time is the big thing with depression and if your like me you want to be better now and not wait foir the proper time for your body to chang which could be months/years

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.