Depression and Axiety from last 12 years. Visited psychiatrist a week ago first time ever

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, I have been suffering from psychological disorder from last 12 years I have depression and axiety visited a psychiatrist last week I am taking Alprazolam .25 + L Mwthyfolate 7.5 mg in the morning and Alprazolam .25 mg + L Methyfolate _ Mitrazapine 30 mg in the night. i am feeling so much drowsy and increase in appetite is a lot. Its 6th day of my medicine. What should I do I dont feel any positive change?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

The first thing is not to make any change to your meds before seeing the psychiatrist again; so make another appointment asap. Secondly, keep a written record of how you feel during the day, not all the time but say at or after breakfast, in the middle of the afternoon and again in the evening. That is because your meds can act differently at different times (particularly when feeling drowsy - usually around 2.30 in the afternoon) and when you eat. The mix of your meds may not be right so the psychiatrist is attempting to find the right mix as well as the dosage.

Thirdly, do not expect any immediate change. This is not like taking, say, a medicine for a chest infection when you start to feel the benefit slowly working - that is why antibiotics are given for a set period and stop. The response you get from any drugs now will take time to work up any benefit. That benefit can be hastened by you having a positive approach to the meds working. It is going to take some time so be prepared to keep going back to the psychiatrist for monitoring and to report how you feel.

On the point you mention about a psychological disorder my feeling is that you could benefit more from a psychologist helping you; psychiatrists tend to rely upon meds (which are necessary) whereas psychologists work on your thoughts and feelings. Together they can provide more positive help for you.

• Posted

Jaguar thanks a lot for your detailed reply, I have been a body with out soul for last 12 years soon after I changed my city in summer of 2002 it was so horrific that I feel bad every time summer starts my disorder is associated with summer season in winter I am a perfect smart and attractive personality things are so positive but soon after summer starts to show its face my old memories of movement from my old city to new starts.

I just can't think of anything and since from last 12 years there has not been a single normal summer in my life I have started to believe that its actually the summer which is bad but I know its not bad for everyone its only me.

My psychiatrist told me its actually major anxiety which is the cause and will be over after 3, 4 visits and he is hopeful its my 7th day of medicine and I ll be visiting him again after a week lets see how he carry forward this medication and revory process.

• Posted

Well, that souds positive Ahmad so I'll be hoping you are now being set on the right track. The best thing to do is to keep positive about the treatment and if it is changed it will be for a good reason. Come back to let us know how you are managing.
  • Posted

Despite the wide array of medications for depression, there are also some simple home remedies that you can try to restore your balance.
  • Posted

Home remedies, Hayden, may help some people with a mild condition BUT what is most important to understand is never to mix them with prescribed medicines. One or the other, never both together.
  • Posted

Yes I would agree with Jaguar here, since the problem is such deeply rooted and old that medical assistance is inevitable and required for limiting the further worsening of the disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.