Depression and CFS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've become acutely aware that I've got this river called depression or sadness or grief(?) that runds under the CFS. When I'm still, I notice that my mouth drops as if with sadness. I've had tonnes of losses throughout the years, plus the CFS. I wonder if anyone actually has put time into grief work. And has this helped?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have. I lost my brother suddenly about 20 years ago. He was one of the closest people in my life, so it was a cataclysm for me. What helped me the most was actually an on-line grief support group. This was when the Internet had just come into being on a large. I also joined an in-person grief support group, and saw a therapist. There's no easy way to move through grief, I found.
  • Posted

Hi Niki,

In regards the mouth dropping as if in sadness, I have a male friend who does this purposely by letting all the muscles relax in his face. He looks totally miserable when he does it, I can't manage it. Am wondering if, like him, Your face does this but when you are still? Because it is so relaxed. I know somebody else whose jaw drops and tongue protrudes when they're concentrating. It really annoys them but, is just again, the face relaxing.

It sounds like you are hoping to do some work around grief and loss and Jackie has offered two types that worked for her. If you live in the UK, your doctor can refer you to services within the Nhs or there are many therapists out there who can work with you. Also, if your CFS leaves you housebound then some offer telephone sessions.

Cfs/me is notorious for causing low mood due to the punitive nature of the symptoms. I get low mood and extreme sadness sometimes but don't feel I'm depressed as yet. I had therapy for ptsd symptoms which I felt was really helpful and some cbt, which again I felt helped in relation to a collision I was involved in.

Hope this helps

Beverley

• Posted

Hiya, 

I've had CBT and Counselling with a grief counsellor - two of the best decisions I've made since getting CFS

• Posted

I'm not sure why your message has been flagged lamgracie, but in response to what I could see on my e-mail - the lady I was seeing for CBT recommended it - it was specifically a group for life-changing illnesses. Unfortunately, when I turned up it wasn't running anymore (not really a surprise, given the limiting nature of CFS) so I asked to be seen for one-to-one sessions. I'm sure that a GP would be able to help with directing you to a service in your area
  • Posted

I have and yes it made my mood better.  I learned to focus on the things I have rather than the things I've lost.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.