DEPRESSION AND COPING MECHANISM

Posted , 2 users are following.

(A BIT OF A LONG ONE )

Good afternoon

So today I'm not feeling to anxious although I would be lying if I said I don't feel a bit sick in my stomach with stuff I'm trying not to think about...... 

I wanted to talk about DEPRESSION as I have been reading and showing support on a few profiles since I joined about a week ago. What I have come to realises is how much there is  a common denominator/similarity with us all. (My opinion of cause) I know it affects us differently by cause and I mean you can get or give advice but what is good for one is not good for another. (I here you say but that's common sense) but is it!!!!!! 

i have spoken to many people over the years running many support groups when I was in my prime and if you even speak with your doctor, they say talk to your friends and family..maybe start a hobby.... But it doesn't take away what your feeling or the rut that caused the anxiety in the first place and it is this, that we all unite in 

NOTHING TAKES AWAY WHAT WE FEEL DOWN INSIDE.

For me it doesn't take much for me to panic, waking up and falling a sleep on depression and I'm seeing it more and more.... My depression is a lot to do with the system and being trapped in it… but mainly what I have lost and the many times I have had to start again and again. Just feel lost as to where to start and no more energy you know….. 

So I thought I would talk about a few points on coping with depression

: If talking to someone helps you…. talk and talk to you feel better

: if listening to music or reading helps then do it

: if crying helps then do it (try not to do it alone) 

: if finding that hobby helps then go for it

Whatever it takes!!!!  start looking at coping mechanisms I guess is what Im saying and I'm doing it…….it isn't easy I know, I have been writing lists of what I want to do. 

For example that is one of my coping strategies: writing down how s***t I feel… What are my issues and looking at if I can truly change them. If I can't I leave it alone and move on to the next one… until I can cope. (I here you say life doesn't always give you that choice to leave it) I have a major issue coming up that I cannot avoid, but what I'm doing is only thinking about that one thing… I call it BITE SIZE CHUNKS it's sort of been helping….

Bottom line we are not alone in this

Feel free to add a coping mechanism below, you never know how much it can help us all…

Let's get this depression BEAT  bless you all

Susan 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Oh yeah, Susan. I know what you mean. I really get fed up being labelled and put into a box marked 'Depression'.

No attempt to understand why and how we are all different. Yes, each of us might have similar/nearly similar/almost similar symptoms and difficulties - but we are individuals who suffer in our own hell when we're struggling.

I've been on 40 mg of Paroxetine daily for a number of years.

They were not working as well as they had been so 10 days ago my GP changed my medication to 40 mg Citalopram daily.

No coming off or cutting down the Paroxetine, just straight onto Citalopram. The past 10 days have been hell. Side effects, worsening anxiety and depression. So very tired but not sleeping well at all. So fed up. Had enough. When will the side effects go!

• Posted

The drugs is a whole different ball game as the side effect are so drastic.... and so additive too. I'm not on meds for depression as such more for pain... and because I don't like taking meds iam always in pain my dear. I am sure you have research this drug but what does it say.... has your doctor spoke to you about the side effects and when they might settle. To be honest that's all they want us to do is stuff meds down our necks. Instead of looking at all ways as well.. You know. 

If it is helping you chase the doctor up about it, get them to do there job as so many are not. Keep strong Chriselora 

• Posted

I'm due to see my GP this Friday - it seems years away. I might phone on Tuesday morning and try to speak to her then. Thank you for your advice. x

• Posted

Hope you are well... Still trying to get my head around this forum.. As it didn't let me know that I had messages... Did you speak with your doctor what have they said my dear 
  • Posted

Hang in there, Susan. Please tell a close friend and your doctor about what you just wrote. I will get better. I am praying for you.

Kirk  :-)

• Posted

Heythere Kirk

thank you for the message above and your prays... Hope your well, I wanted to ask why have you suggested that I tell a friend and my GP about what I wrote above.. I wasn't sure if there was a spacific reason.... Although I did speak with my GP about anxiety, which if I'm honest they already know. But do nothing about it like they do with most people going through stress. Hope you have a good day 

God bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.