Depression and crohns

Posted , 8 users are following.

Iv had crohns for about 6 years now and find it so hard to talk to people about it because unless you have something you dont know what its like , i dont know anyone with this condition, so you feel alone and like you are fighting a battle you will never win ,i feel as though all i do is go to work so i can live and thats bout it cause im to tired and feel to unwell to do anything else and i know its bad but it annoys me when everyone at work is talking about what they are doing outside of work and when they complain about pointless s##t and i do know there are people alot worse off than me but just wonder whats the point sometimes hey , just wondering if there is others out there that feel this way and just want to meet people that know what i mean

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jimmy, I can relate to this and in particular the work to live comment then going home to curl up, try to recover and do the same the next day or next week. It can be a slog and does bring into question fundamentals in each of our lives. I'm really sorry to hear you're having a tough time. You're definitely not alone, although I'm sure it feels that way and Crohns can be challenging in terms of isolation.

I wonder if you have the support you need? I'm not trying to solve everything but Crohns is a disability and your employer needs to support you e.g. a conversation with occupational health (referred via you HR Sept) and necessary adjustments to help such as a change or reduction to working hours, working at home one day a week (as I do) etc.

Other areas to consider:

NHS run an Expert Patients Programme for living with chronic health problems. It helped me to understand many people with different health problems also live with similar symptoms and feelings. It also covers how to manage symptoms, negative emotions etc.

Crohns and Colitis UK have a support line, also they have local meet-ups once a month. I've yet to try mine as only just finally diagnosed but it sounds helpful to meet others.

Other support through GP/nurses. If your job offers health insurance or an Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) there may be additional support available to you.

I wish you well and I'd like to hear how you get on, and even share ideas.

Matt

• Posted

Hello!

Sorry to hear that you're feeling so down. There's a lot of us out here with Crohn's! Have you heard of Crohn's and Colitis UK? They're a charity which has a lot of good advice about IBD and they'll be able to put you in touch with a local group -  where you'll be able to meet up and chat with fellow sufferers. I don't attend one myself because I'm an unsociable, miserable old git..! I do however chat to the people I meet at various outpatient waiting rooms. You'll be amazed at how much information and help you can glean from other people!

I sympathise that you find it difficult to chat to people about Crohn's. Not many people want to hear about a particularly explosive bout of diahorrea or, perhaps, the agony you're experiencing, do they? 

I was diagnosed in1987 and have tried most treatment. Some work better than others and I succummed to surgery for the first time last year.

Don't lose hope! We've all felt how you're feeling right now and things WILL get better!

Keep in touch! X

• Posted

Thanks for the replys guys its good to hear from people with the same problems hey , im going to try and cut back my hours but its hard to do that with you have a family and you have bills to pay my partner is studying atm so im hopeful once she is finished she can get a good job so i can cut back hours , how do you guys go for work with your crohns
    • Posted

Hello again!

I agree it's tough trying to manage a job when you're not feeling 100%. I have recently applied for flexible working and have managed to negotiate a drop in hours from 40 to 30 per week. Up to then I have always worked full time - from the age of 16 to 48.

I'm a stock clerk in a warehouse working nights. It's a very physical job which involves heavy lifting and loads of walking. I now work 3 x 10 hour shifts.. The issue I have is that the toilets are all situated on the outside walls of the warehouse and it's a million square foot of floor space. As you can imagine, Usain Bolt has nothing on me! Ha, ha!

Last year I had a loop Ileostomy and that was then reversed earlier this year. I had 3 months of with each operation as they were both considered major surgery and you're not able to lift anything heavy afterwards.

I recommend getting an appointment with your company's occupational health representative and discussing any problems you're experiencing with them. You may be able to negotiate a more suitable role or similar.

If your medication is not helping, nag your consultant for an alternative. They tend to be very complacent if you don't persist.

I really think you'd benefit from getting in touch with a local group. You can let off steam with people who have experienced similar issues and not feel like you're whinging to your loved ones (who unfortunately have no real idea what you're going through).

Good luck! 

• Posted

hi jimmybrook it is a difficult and embrassing illness, and i think like you , nobody understands the pain and symptons, its basically because you cant see it. Try to live a normal life as possiable, some days are better than others, and when you in a good place you have to make the most of it. what medication are you having.
    • Posted

Hi

Ye it can be embarrassing at times and i also feel like people think im wierd or a hermit or something when i just dont want to do anything and stay at home and rest , ye because you cant see it except loosing heaps of wieght at times people think you are ok, i also have arthritis from it in my back and other joints which makes things worse , i just tried mercaptopurine but had bad side effects to it so doc told me to go off it and i got to go and see him in few weeks , what meds do you use

• Posted

Hi again,

I definitely agree with other comments on Crohns meet up groups and blowing off steam often helps. There's also good advice there on having an occupational health meeting to look at options to help or possibly other job roles they can accommodate.

I know your original post was based on the personal impact but now we've started to talks meds - have you adapted your diet to help? It's different for everyone but the Low FODMAP diet changed my life. I was a mess before and symptoms massively reduced within days of starting the diet. It's not a cure all but helped.

Keep at it, sounds like there's personal pressure on you but you may be surprised how much support is out there. This forum included!

Cheers

Matt

• Posted

Having had crohnds for 52yrs I think I know where your comingt from, but there is no need to feel alone. One of your best bets is to get in touch with your local Crons & Colitis society. I have been attending mine for around two years now and they are a great crowd.there is no depression and misery with the group they all help each other.and believe it or not we have a good laugh. You will be talking to fellow sufferes who can give you useful advise and most case better than your doctors and consutants. You will find their address on line and they will put you in touch with your local branch. I hope this helps. But please take my advise on this one and it will hopefully turn your life around..  Take care, there are people out there that understand what you are going through

• Posted

Hi Jimmy yes I understand where you are coming from. On Saturday I missed a concert because my tummy was bad and it is very easy to dwell on your limitations and envy people who can go anywhere and do anything, as we did before our illness. My son has just flown off to Mexico/Peru today and all I can think is that I could never do it even if I wanted to. When I suffered from depression/anxiety I hated everyone who was enjoying life and now I would have depression back instead of Crohn's! You just have to try and accept your limitations, be thankful for good days and keep on living your life.

• Posted

Hey jimmybrook 

i hope you're feeling a bit better today.

its not an easy illness and I get the old feelings of what's the point with the added guilt of other people have worse illness etc.

i think that cos people cannot see what's going on, they don't get it. 

Its definitely one of those things that people cannot appreciate unless they have it.

being the breadwinner is obviously a bigger stress for you. I'm 'lucky' that I stay home (not through choice) .

take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.