depression and food

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I'm wondering how food affects us. And our depression.

I tend to completly over eat and induldge in foods that 'make me happy' what ever that means, its usually bad, unhealthy food, chocolate, crisps, ice cream that sort of thing.

I know lots of people loose their appetites. This rarely happens to me.

Any thoughts :?:

R

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It has been proved that comfort eating is linked 2 depression and i think most of us has done it and the same with loss of appitite depression affects us all differently. There is another reason if u r on meds it could b a side afffect of them a lot of them do. Have u tried when u feeling like u want 2 pick at food make yaself busy doin someting else i no it is easier said than done, but it is normal 2 turn 2 food but it can also make us more depressed ur not on your own good luck.
  • Posted

Hi R,

This doesn't happen to me either and I comfort eat and eat secretly sad . The worst is when I'm left on my own and I would end up eating and usually resort to sticking a spoon in the syrup jar if there's nothing else available!! As you can see I've a sweet tooth!!! :lol:

I've joined Slimming World since being on Citalopram and have managed to loose 7.5 lbs so far, but it is really hard work and I don't know what I would have been by now if I hadn't joined :shock:

What I can say is that if you are occupied and busy doing something you like (not eating though :lol: ) then if you want to eat something say to yourself \" Do I really want to eat or am I thirsty?\" then take a drink and see if that helps if it doesn't and 15 to 30 mins later you still fancy something then have something small like a piece of fruit and see how you feel then, it does take a while to condition your mind to eat less and I think I'll be trying until I'm old a grey, but hey ho you have to try anything sometimes!!!

Problem is as Shadow said the more you eat the more deprssed you become so if you can control your eating it should help with the depression!!

Hope this helps

Jane

• Posted

Thank you your replies,

I've tried Weight Watchers in the past before the depression really kicked in, and I managed to lose some weight. I joined Slimming World at the start of the summer and I wasn't in the right frame of mind at all and ate what I wanted, when I wanted. And sneaked things when getting up in the night.... I've not done that before. Having put on a little bit, some of my clothes are starting to be a bit squeezy. I just need to do it don't I? I've also given up the running that I was doing, I just can't bring myself to do it.

I hope the meds help me get back into \"routine\" soon, maybe when the kiddies are back at school.....

R

• Posted

Hi RHL,

Have u tried havin a bottle of water at the side of your bed at nite and then if u wake up at nite and tempted 2 eat just drink the water. I hope the meds do statr 2 kick in soon and u start 2 feel more like yaself again. Im sure u been told b4(sorry if u have) but exercise is good 4 deppression and helps lift ya mood. Iv always been an active person but u now the story but iv just started 2 get back 2 the gym (not as much as id like) but its a start and its feelin ok. Hope things start 2 even out 4 u soon and good look.

• Posted

Hi i just wanted to say that in time( whoever invented that word should be shot!!) things will get better.I am 32 and have 3 lovely children but have been deppressed for about 9 yrs now and im still on citalopram. I went through alot of really bad stuff like most of us, i would eat and eat i would hide and stuff i mean stuff a whole packet of chocolate biscuits in my mouth and i hated myself for it but couldnt stop. It made me feel happy but soonn after i felt awful. But it had become a habit i didnt even realise i was doing it at times. One thing i can say is routine helps me big time, its hard and trust me i know but i pushed myself to keep busy and slowly it helped but there are still times i reach for the cupboard and think what the hell but i know if i want to feel better anf lose this weight i have to do it. Im stronger mentally than i have ever been and im now focused on sorting my weight out. U must remember that whats right for someone might not be right for u, exercise if great for lifting ur mood but u do have to be in the right frame of mind.Its not easy but take one day at a time and if u have a bad day then say 2morrow might be better thats what i do xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.