Depression and IBS HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was diagnosed with depression three years ago and have been taking citalopram. Two months ago I had a blood test due to IBS symptoms such as bloating and it came back clear. The last two weeks I've felt so ill and so did a stool test and that came back clear as well. I've had constant diarreah for two weeks as well as stomach cramps, feeling tired and bloating. I'm having to rush to the loo constantly it's embarrassing sad

I've tried taking mebeverine twice a day before meals as well as paracetamol, Imodium and also natural pro biotic supplements and aloe Vera.. Nothing is helping and I don't feel better at all.

Does anyone have any tips??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Mebeverine and aloe vera can be irritants.  I tried Mebeverine and I felt a lot worse.  I developed new symptoms and became convinced I had something serious.  I stopped them and tried Buscopan and felt 50% better.  My brother tried Aloe Vera for IBS and felt worse.
    • Posted

Everyone is different.  This is why IBS is so hard to treat.  Aloe Vera can be acidic and my brother suffered from acid reflux at the time.  I get reflux as well and find milk is the best soother so long as you are not lactose intolerant.
  • Posted

Soo many bad stories about Mebeverine but never any good ones. When i was first prescribed mebeverine i was worried to take it because of the research i done. When i took the 3 doses i felt horrible. And when going back to the doctor i found out something none of the research had told me. You can overdose yourself! Just because it says take 3 it doesnt mean you need to. I get by on 1 whenever i feel like im going to have a flare up, this works for days with me and my stomach seems to settle quicker with it. Try and take away all other medications and just go with the minimal dose. Try and stick to plain foods to especially if the D is really bad. This will help the medication to.
    • Posted

That's so interesting. I didn't know that mebeverine was like that. I've barely been taking it though as I didn't feel it was helping! Thanks for your advice

• Posted

I had a bad reaction after taking one never mind three.  I had trouble swallowing it and within minutes it felt like I had swallowed a pebble.  It did nothing for my stomach pain or nausea.  My constipation worsened and I got lack of appetite and I was aware of digesting my food for an hour.  I suffer from indigestion but I had never experienced this. I struggled through the full dose of three and got worse and worse. I stopped them and the side effects disappeared.  I tried them again a few days later and the side effects came back. I couldn't even complete the first slide of tablets.  I threw them out and and told my doctor.  He noted down and accepted my reactions.  I later tried Buscopan which was so much better.  The chemist told me how good Mebeverine was.  Maybe it is for some but was very toxic for me.

• Posted

Sometimes taking one natural remedy with a pescription drug can do more harm than good. Overloading your body wont just make you feel bad but it can counter act medications. Just mimimise the dosage and see what happens.
    • Posted

All prescription medications have an overdose mark. Most of them are put on the leaflets but the Mebeverine leaflets don't have much information on. My doctor explained that although safe to take 3 a day the drug works better on a minimal and irregular dose as it prevents your body from creating and immunity to it and its known for working better on IBS. Of course it wont suit everyone but if i had not of found this out i would of stopped the tablets and tried something else. Now they are all i need. biggrin Touch wood!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.