Depression and mood swings

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've suffered with depression for years and had many bad times during those times , heavy drinking upto 16 cans per night and 2 overdoses to name but a few ,I found it very difficult to speak to anyone about my feelings but got through those with help from my family and doctors but my depression has never left me , and I still can't express my true thoughts and feelings to anyone ,just try and act like a normal healthy person, I've been receiving councelling for a few months but can't really open up to her.

It's affecting my relationship with my girlfriend as I can't be bothered doing anything , she thinks I'm not interested anymore but I can't explain the reason why ,wish my mind would just let me have a clear out of what's going on inside of it but it won't let me! !!!,my mood swings are really bad too I go off on one at the slightest thing ranting and raving , this is the first time I've tried to get things off my mind ,anyone else had the same feelings and how did you go about things

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I've also been on medication since being diagnosed which helps a bit ,I just think I'm never going to get rid of it and people just think there is nothing wrong
  • Posted

Hi David, I guess that just about wraps up what depression is like and the lack of education in the world 😏

I certainly can't give you any answers, I can only sympathise and tell you it's the same for most of us, you're not alone 😉

You're in a good place here though, there are some lovely caring and understanding people to help and support you and will probably give you a much better response than mine 😏 Sorry, I'm not in a good place at the moment, so not a wise move for me to give advice, but someone will 😉

Big hug 😉

• Posted

Hi Belinda and thank you for your reply, depression is a nasty illness , I just need people to talk to to try and get things off my chest , hope you feel better soon x
  • Posted

Hi David yep that's definitely depression!   That's what your counsellor is for - to express how you really feel and if you can't then maybe she is not the one for you.  You might be better off with another counsellor instead,  perhaps a man?  

I have suffered from depression since childhood and now I'm 61.   It has been mainly low grade but with some nasty flare ups over the years ie suicidal thoughts a lot and severel od's.   Rather than always fighting it which is so exhausting I have long accepted that I have to find a way to live with it rather than concentrating my life and energy on trying to get rid of it.   It's not marked on my card - I am me and suffer from depression.   At times when it is bad I go on automatic pilot just to get through without seeming too much life a food.  It doesn't always work but sometimes it does.   I have had to self limit my life avoiding intimate relationships and it makes me very sad sometimes that I am on my own.  But if I hadn't done this I would have ended it many years ago.  I rely only on myself which is sad but it is life of a kind.  I hope you can find a better way love.  Bev x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.