Depression and more

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am a 54 year old male. I was diagnosed with depression some 5 years ago. I had a course of CBT arranged by my then employer which did nothing for me, I was referred to a mental health assessment but they decided there was nothing wrong with me other than depression as I had made no attempts to take my own life.

In general I have been successful in life, nearly always employed and generally capable in the career I spent 24 years in. I also have my own business which is successful and employs 9 people.

However I feel emotionless. My mood can be considered as poor most days. I have difficulty in getting out of bed and always feel like I have had a really bad nights sleep. Years ago I did have tests for sleep apnea but these showed that this was not present. I more often than not stay up until the early hours as my mind seems to peak at this time, constant thoughts racing, ideas and planning. I take little pleasure in most activities. Socially

I am distanced from most of my friends and make little effort to interact with them either personally or via social media/email. I have no other family other than my wife. She works in the business and has little time for what she considers is her 'lazy, grumpy husband'.

I suffer with poor hygiene as I frequently forget to wash or clean my teeth, rarely comb my hair (it's short) and often wear the same clothes day after day. I am overweight which does not help and frequently binge eat. If I have to go to social events I drink heavily and will use illegal narcotics. If I need to go somewhere for an appointment I begin to panic regarding time to get there and frequently suffer with panic attacks and coughing until I am sick, heart palpitations and feelings of panic. If I drive anywhere I suffer with extreme road rage so often I use public transport such as trains. However if a train is late I frequently just give up and go home again.

When I am out in public such as at the shops or doctors I feel like I have some form of extreme Tourettes syndrome. If people get in my way or are rude I tell them in no uncertain terms what I think of them. I observe people all the time and often make comments about what I think of them and their actions, usually derogatory, loudly. I have no fear of anybody.

At home I tend to fixate on things such as a new hobby and then overspend acquiring all the equipment necessary for that hobby, leading to financial problems.

I have been on Citalopram 40mg until a month ago when my doctor thought I would benefit from a change - I felt that the drug wasn't having any effect any more. I have never felt it did anything other than slightly take the edge off. My doctor prescribed Metrazapine 15mg. I have taken this for a month now. I suffer dizzy spells when I move my head rapidly, as a sleeping tablet it seems to have no great effect. I still feel like I have not had enough sleep. I am still rude to people, including my wife and aggressive in demeanour and this is getting worse. I also have a sore throat, have headaches and feel like I have aged about twenty years - I walk about like and old man with joint pains, stiffness and a sudden lack of any physical strength. In essence I seem to be worse off than I was. All my other mentioned symptoms still occur.

I also have a couple of physical issues, aside from being overweight. My rotator cuff is so damaged that I struggle to lift one arm above shoulder height and one of my legs has damage to the foot/achilles tendon which means I cannot walk properly and am frequently in pain.

I understand I am depressed but is there something else going on too? How can I get diagnosed if I don't know what's going on. Has anyone else had experiences of Metrazapine like this?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.