Depression and physical illness

Posted , 7 users are following.

hiya...does anybody else find with depression and on medication that any kind of physical illness causes a " crash"....I had been feeling a lot better on sertraline and quetiapine but have had a UTI and needed antibiotics and an oral herpes outbreak inside my mouth at the same time. My mood has crashed and I'm feeling pretty hopeless again...any input would be gratefully received...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Take it one step at a time, when problems come i deal with the most important first its prioritising.

• Posted

hi suesan, antibodies are renound for making your mood feel wobbly. i was on antibiotics before Xmas and i felt really low, which is not normal for me! i felt very upset, tearful and ugh! just wait until the antibiotics are out of your system and see how you then feel.

• Posted

Hi Sue, sorry that you are feeling so unwell. There is actually a name for what you are describing - it's called 'sickness behaviour', you may feel tired, have a low mood, and no appetite etc. When you are sick, your body produces cytokines which induce inflammation to fight of the virus/pathogen. Your body needs to switch off to conserve its energy so it can fight the illness. There's a whole school of thought that believes that inflammation plays a huge role in the onset of depression. I have Lupus and find I'm much more prone to low moods when I'm in a flare - if I take anti-inflammatories, my mood usually improves after a day or 2!

• Posted

Hi,

Yes I have episodes like this when I become poorly.. I think it's part and parcel. I have suffered on and off most of my life.

keep fighting..you'll get there.✌🤞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.