Depression and self harm

Posted , 5 users are following.

I don't know if I should take myself to the doctors right now. I have relapsed once again with self harming. I just can't seem to go any longer than 3 weeks without doing so anymore. Today, not so long ago, I relapsed and have self harmed. All I can think of is doing it all the time, I feel I need to, to take the pain away. It feels like the only thing I have to help me get through it all. I just know that lately, especially today these self harm thoughts are getting worse and I know I'm already carrying them out but soon enough, I know I'll end up cutting even deeper and in places where will cause harm. What should I do?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Yes please do you can go to a&e if you need to but please seek help
  • Posted

Jodie...Do to your doctor,perhaps he might be able to refer you somewhere to see a therapist,who may help you with this issue?Emotional pain is terrible at times.....but it sounds like it is dealing with you when it is you who should be dealing with IT.Hope am not being outspkoken.Are you on any medication?Perhaps if you aren't taking anything,it may be worth considering...Be kind to yourself x x
    • Posted

I am on medication, just isn't having any affect at all x
    • Posted

Ask for it to be changed unless you haven't been on it long it may take time to build up in your system
    • Posted

I've been on it for a fairly long time now. Am wondering whether the dose should be put up higher
  • Posted

As someone who has been a chronic self harmer from the age of 13 onwards (I'm 22) I feel your pain and can totally relate.

You need to learn coping methods and distraction techniques.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/pdf/self-harm%20distractions%20and%20alternatives%20final.pdf

The above link has great methods for coping with self-harm.

The next thing to do while you're learning to keep distracted and to cope is to get in touch with your GP and have them refer you to psychology. I won't lie, it took me 3 months to get referred to a psychologist (it might be different where you are according to how much demand their is for this service) but the wait was worth it. Be firm with your GP and be honest with how bad your self-harm is. The more honest you are, the more likely you'll be taken more seriously.

Have a look at the distractions and please try not to hurt yourself further as you could end up in A&E.

Good luck and stay safe.

• Posted

Thank you for your advice, its nice to have the support from everyone on here.

I have had counselling, CBT and seen a psychiatrist in the past. Now, because of my age, I have had to change over to the Adult services and due to having a bad experience whilst using the teen/adolescent services, my GP referred me as a new patient. Therefore I'm having to go through counselling again which is just not helping whatsoever. So I feel a little lost in what I should do.

I do try and distract myself but a lot of the time lately, it just doesn't seem to work no matter how hard I try.

Thank you x

• Posted

acctually i have some problem too, sometimes i do selfharm too. but not that worse.

i m far away from home now, and i dont really have many friends. But i have some hobby, and i drownning myself with my hobby. reading and watching movie prevent me from selfharm. and its really help me....

do you have hobby jodie22541?

• Posted

Yes, I have a few hobbies. I do try to distract myself and thoughts by doing them but lately it just doesn't seem to work. I'm sorry to hear that you self harm too, stay safe x
    • Posted

then, how about pet?

do you have a pet?

my bestfriends say that maybe it will help to built up my spirit, but because of my job i prefer hobby than have pet, because i dont think i have enough time to take care of it...

thanks. you too, be safe and be strong kay...cheesygrin

• Posted

Yes I have heard that too, a lot of people say that having a pet can help. Hope you're doing ok smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.