Depression and the elderly

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am 75 years old and in fairly good health. I also have pretty much everything I always wanted: nice house, enough money, and pets. However, I am feeling very depressed. Is this just an old age thing?

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I don't really know but I am just nearing 60 and things are hard.  I have lost my closest friends - they died.  I have no social life, I work in a job I hate.  I can't manage the mortgage.  The only friend I have is battling his 3rd cancer.

It's much harder when you are older to connect with people especially when you have no family

• Posted

Misty, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my message.
  • Posted

Hi Ellen. I dont think its just an old age thing. I am in my fifties, so I'm not an expert! - but I have read quite alot that surveys show that older people seem to be happier in general than younger ones, unless they are lonely - which can be a real problem.

Depression can be treated at any age, and there is no reason why yours cant be. You could ask your'e doctor about it - maybe a course of antidepressants would help.

• Posted

thats all every one can do go to your doctors they will help you
    • Posted

Well Magnus, I have caught one for the first time! These discussion forums are for allowing people to make up their own minds up. Not to have someone dictating that they keep away from anti-depressants. If it was not for anti-depressants there would be more people taking their own lives.

You talk about surveys but did you know that in the older population there are more people per population taking their own life. It is purely up to the patient with the problem and their GP/Psychiatrist to discuss the best course of action to take.

If you are so anti antidepressants then I politely suggest that you go and start your own website about telling people with severe problems not to take ANTI-DEPRESSANTS. Regards Peter 

• Posted

Its sort of lonliness, you want to be more active than you are now. Go out for vaccation meet people make new friends.

• Posted

I don't think you could say it is about your age ellen, depression can be felt at any age and in any circumstances, whether well off or married, single or in employment.

It takes no prisoners and can happen to us all, when we least expect it.

​I think another thing to keep in mind is that it can tend to happen when everything around us seems okay, settled, even good; and that is why depression is so hard to live with and to endure as part of your daily life, because it seems so incongruous to how you life on the surface may appear.

​I hope this helps xx Karen

• Posted

Thank you, Karen. That is the most thoughtful reply I've received. It doesn't take away the depression, but it certainly gives me something to think about.
    • Posted

I am glad if what I said helps,I know how confusing and frustrating this illness can be, and how alone it is easy to feel, and as though nobody really comprehends what you are going through; but I do know and can speak from experience, tough as it can be to live with.

I do hope you have someone you can trust to talk this through with face to face, if not just keep in touch, I will be here when I can.

Take care Ellen, much love Karen xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.