Depression and work

Posted , 7 users are following.

why is it my family tell me I've got to go back to work after the doc has signed me off for  a week. All they care about is making money so I won't be borrowing  off them. 

Im not ready yet but I know if I lose my job it's up to me it's the job that makes me depressed but I have to work but in better environment .

my daughter and mum in law doesn't understand how I feel, my husband does he says you go back when you're ready. 

I don't like being what I am......are they right or wrong in nagging me .. Money isn't everything "!!!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your Husband sounds like the person you should be listening to, if you have his support that is enough. Give yourself time and if it is the job that is the problem consider your options to look for something more suited to you. Dont let people rule your life it is your choice of how you want your life to be. Take the rest and then consider your future, health and wellbeing are more important. Learn to say NO!

Best for the future get well soon.

Jackie.

• Posted

Your husband is right Carole. There's no rush. Take your time and go back when you are ready.

Force things and it will only make you worse. Your health is more important than other peoples opinions.

They are not living with what you are living so cannot even begin to understand.

Listen to your husband chick. Go at a pace that you can cope with.

There is time for everything else when you are back on your feet. For a little while,just think of you and your recovery. 

If anybody has anything negative to say,ask them "If I broke my leg,would you expect me to be walking the next day"???? And when they reply "No",tell them "Your mind is broken for a while and it needs time to heal"!!

xx

• Posted

The one line in the song by Pink, "you're not broken, just bent" I love that!  It's so true as things always get better.  Perhaps get worse again but eventually, it gets well again.  So, we're not broken, just bent!  smile
  • Posted

Hi carole sorry to hear your husbands the only one who seems to care about you !the  others as you say seem to have a couldnt care less attitude  ! Your husbands a star ! I wish you well and get better soon david x
  • Posted

Everyone,apart from my Sister who understands my condition thinks i should go back to work too.

I've been feeling like this for months now just like you Carole and tried to get back to work but physically its exhausting,which is i think a side effect of mertazapine,muscles aching and also,which is worse my brain wont let me for the time being.

I still wake every morning stressing about work/money and counselor and gp says no way can i go back full time yet but other comments are right.You need to heal at your pace,let your body and mind tell you when you go back to work. Glad youve got a good hubby.

Take care

Paul

• Posted

Paul dont go back to work against your doctors advice as they are best placed to know if your fit enough ! Your sister sounds like a great person ive got members of my family who have been there for me since i had a brain bleed 2 years ago ! A supportive family will help you get better paul best  wishes david
    • Posted

Hi Paul ~

There are so many jobs available these days that one can work from home.  While off work, perhaps take advantage and check this out as an option.  One thing about working out of the home, you have to be extremly organzied and disciplined.  If you are both, you'd be an asset to any company. 

Take a good look at what you're good at.  Are you good on the computer and good with research?  Then that may be an area you can check into.  Many companies want new ideas but they have no time to research as they are in the body of the company and cannot take that time out.  You could do this for them.

Are you good with drafting/design?  There are ample companies that allow one to work from home if you are able to complete the tasks at hand.  Some just need help with you getting information to the other employees out in the field like measurements of pole lines or some things like that.  In any case, it's endless as to what you can do.

Also, hospice is a good place to work outside of the agency and in the home.  Some are looking for people to do the checks and balances with the nurses.  Like, phoning the nurses when a paitent (at home) needs to seek help, you'd call the nurses on duty and send them on their way.  Also, hospice (this is only one example of home employment) hospice has people ordering medications and other items for their hospice center and homecare purposes.  If you're able to do this kind of work, then there's another home job for you.

Good luck and I know how hard it is to jump back into the job arena.  You have options, which 10 years ago, you wouldn't.

Again, I wish you luck,

Frustrated

• Posted

Hi Carole ~

Your husband sounds like a wise man.  Take your time.  Also, perhaps while off the job you dislike so much, why not try applying at other jobs and be picky.  Choose the job that suits you and make sure you don't jump from the fire into the pan.  So with this time set aside that your doctor has approved you time off, take advantage of it and seek other employment!

Good Luck!

Frustrated

• Posted

somehow i can relate to this issue. my work is killing me.
    • Posted

Hi ecnal ~

Can you elaborate on what is killing you regarding your job?  Talking through the problems can easily help with the situation.  Many here are in the same boat as you and can be of great help.

Hope to hear from you.

Frustrated

• Posted

my work as a whole, but it's okay, afterall job meant to be hard, it's all up to you how to enjoy and make it light. it's just sometimes i'm fed up on same routines everyday, it's kinda bore me for a lot of reason. And yeah i know, if you don't love your job just quit and look something interest you, just that simple.
    • Posted

Hi ecnal ~

No, it's not just that simple.  When one is at a job for a number of years, they not only build up a retirement plan but they become "safe".  This is a scary thing to let go of.  Believe me, I know this all too well.

So, unless you don't have all the comforts of your job ie: retirement, vacations and the security, then perhaps you have nothing to lose.  However if the opposite is true, then it's a choice you'd have to think long and hard about.  

I'm sorry you're so unhappy, that's not a good place to be.  Sometimes by just looking at what you actually have, you can put things in perspective and it isn't as bad as you think.  

I wish  you well,

Frustrated

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.