Depression & anxiety and the menopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - had depression for 16 weeks now and on 40 Prozac and 45 Mirtazapine. This dose worked for me 4 years ago when I last had depression but it took me 13 weeks before I felt I lowered the dose as I felt butter but 4 years on I have depression again so increased the dose back to what it should have been.. Also going through the menopause - will HRT help the symptoms of depression and should I consider changing my anti-depressants, which I don't really want to do. Please help as I'm feeling it's really hard to carry on. Have improved slightly with medication as I get up and am at work but every day is torture. . Please help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

How long have you been taking the medication?

I know they say it takes 2-4 weeks for antidepressents to work...but I don't necessarily believe that....

I just started a new antidepressent and I feel different and it is day 6 for me.

I would say these medications are NOT working for you...espeically if you are not desperate enough to type in a forum about them.

Just because they worked 4 years ago..means nothing...especially going thru menopause...your hormones and body has changed....I would ask for something else.

• Posted

When I had depression 4 years ago it took 13 weeks before I felt better, that is why I have persisted with the meds
    • Posted

ok, but you posted about the desperation of feeling depressed...so my answer is.....change medications.
  • Posted

Hello Erica,

According to my GP depression has a strong tendency to recur so  it is probably not surprising that you are back here again and with the added curse of the menopause looming. If I had my time again, I am 65years old and fully through the menopause I would find any way to deal with my depression other than increased meds. I say this because I was on Citalopram on and off for 20 years and I am currently off and determined to stay off. HRT is a very good idea as it will protect your bones to a large extent as well as improve your mood. I am sorry that I can't encourage you in getting your meds right as I know they have a very important part to play but I would encourage you to look elsewhere for endorphin kicks such as exercise, especially outside, walking, jogging, tennis anything that makes you sweaty and slightly breathless, I find exercise the best medicine of all. Also, hang on in there, the menopause can be a rough ride but the other side of it isn't sa bad as a lot of people think. There are bonuses like an increase in contentment where you no longer worry about what other people think all the time. It's not so bad being a woman of a certain age and well worth giving it a go.

• Posted

My best advice is to go see a doctor. Going through menopause means that what worked 4 years ago might not work now. Go see a doctor before changing the dose. You may need to take different meds or up the dose, but talk to your doctor first.
  • Posted

I WAS DEPRESSED A FEW YEARS AGO and was on 30mg of citrapram,i was exersising and going to the gym and felt great so i came off them,6 months after i became depressed worse than the last time and this time 30mg of citrapram nevewr worked im on 40 mg and some beater blockers this time,wish i never came off the bloody things

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.