Depression, anxiety, low appetite, insomnia & trazodone

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone, I got diagnosed with severe depression, anxiety & severe insomnia nearly 10 weeks ago.  

It started with severe anxiety that led to 11 nights of no sleep, which then turned into severe low mood. I didn't get out of bed for 2 1/2 weeks.

I couldn't physically sleep or turn my brain off at night (or in the day) no matter how tired or exhausted I was  which made the low mood even harder to deal with.  I was suicidal.  

I was put on 15mg mirtazapine at night which knocked me out but I felt spaced out & not with it all the day & after 5 weeks my gp swapped me to trazodone. 

I actually felt better coming off the mirtazapine but the insomnia returned full force.  

I was put on 100mg of trazodone at night for 3 weeks, then upped to 150mg for 2 weeks & it's just been upped to 200mg at night in the last 2 days.  

This medication does nothing for my sleep as the doctor assured me it would & im currently having to take a 7.5mg zopliclone each night to get between 4-5 hours sleep, I know this is not a long term simulation. 

My moods still unbearingly low but I can cope with the day a little better if I manage to get some sleep at night.    

I ended up going to a&e a few weeks ago as I felt suicidal & they advised to go back to my gp.

I've been on 200mg of trazodone at night for the past 2 night along with the zopliclone & I feel spaced out & completely not with it in the day, I'm not sure if it's a too higher dose??? 

About 5 years ago I tried sertraline & citalopram & they both made me even worse so I was put on amytripyline at night to help with sleep, It helped but I had severe anxiety back then not depression. 

My gp is concerned the trazodone isn't working as I'm not feeling even slightly better & next week wants to try me on fluoxetine. 

Has anyone got any advice?  

I work in the NHS & desperately want to get back to work, I also have a very supportive partner but still feel low, have no appetite, feel tired all the time, anxious & unmotivated.

I'm trying to go to the gym & I'm currently having private counselling each week.

Thank you x

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry you're struggling.

I was put on Trazadone for depression and to help with sleep by my GP. I'm on 300mg. It has helped slightly with sleep but still only getting around 4 hours a night and I don't think it's had any effect on my depression.

I had a psychiatrist referral on Monday and she was shocked that I'd been prescribed it... She said it is not a particularly effective antidepressant and is rarely used nowadays unless it's in combination with another antidepressant. She is now adding in Duloxetine...

• Posted

Thank you for the reply Lucy, I'm going to give the 200mg until next Monday (when I see the gp again) & if I still feel as bad, I'm going to ask about taking another antidepressant as well. 

My gp said if I have to come off trazodone, it would be a 4 week withdrawal period until a new antidepressant can be used! 

Have you taken Duloxetine yet? x

• Posted

Hi Katie

I started on the duloxetine on Monday so early days... Taking it in conjunction with trazadone - my psychiatrist said she'd see how I go on it before starting to taper off of the trazadone. I take zopiclone at night too.

Could you maybe ask your GP for a referral to a psychiatrist for a medication review? x

• Posted

I hope you start to feel a lot better soon 😊 

I’ve got a feeling that might be the case on Monday when I go back to the gp as I feel no better & ive tried a fair few antidepressants now.  

I’m hoping that if they do swap my medication, I can start it alongside the trazodone & not have to wait 4 weeks.

How long have you been on the zopliclone for? My gp gave me 7 tablets (7.5) but I know using these are not a long term solution & im worried she won’t give me anymore. Sorry for all the questions! xx

• Posted

& do you take your medication altogether at night? xx

• Posted

I've been on zopiclone 7.5 since June but I try not to take them more than 3 or 4 times a week.

Yes, I take all mine at night, normally around an hour before bed. I was on venlafaxine until mid September but I took that in the morning or I couldn't sleep xx

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

ive had to cut the traozdone back down to 150mg at night along with a full zopiclone as the past 3 days ive felt awful and like zombie! 

I know my gp wants to swap to swap me to fluoxetine so trying to taper off the trazodone slightly so hopefully she can just add the fluoxetine to it maybe....i dont know how much more of feeling like this i can take or how many more tablets i need to try before i feel better...even if its just slightly better. Along with no eating and being unable to fall asleep normally without the aid of sleeping tablets, its a nightmare i wouldn't wish upon anyone xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.