depression/anxiety returning should i increase my dose

Posted , 4 users are following.

i started taking citalopram for about a year and a bit now, have been on 20mg since the start, i doing great with it. i felt my normal self again untill about a week ago when i felt just out of know where the sadness and depression started creeping back. im guessing it may have to due to the fact that i missed my dose for 5 straight days after i did surgery on my nose about 3 weeks ago but still.

im wondering should i just continue taking my 20mg or should i talk to my gp about maybe increasing the dosage to 30 mg. thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would continue with your normal dosage. But consider that possibly the citalopram was only masking issues that your mind is telling you need to be addressed. I have been taking 20mg since 2012 and last year, a year after I started the symptoms started coming back. I decided I didn't want to keep increasing dosage and have been examining my lifestyle to understand what the underlying cause was. I discovered many lifestyle choices I made a while ago were gradually building to my break in 2012. It has been very hard but I am making great progress. I know this sounds difficult but it is worth it in the long run.

In the meantime, make a strong effort to not acknowledge that the depression is there. Don't give it any power.

I hope this helps.

• Posted

thanks for the reply, its weird though because i honestly have no reason to be depressed, it just all of a sudden popped out of no where. 2 weeks ago i was happy and enjoying my life and then all of a sudden it started creeping back. i had this problem a few months back and my doctor did increase the dose to 30mg and it did wonders for me, but then he lowered it back to 20mg and have been on it for 2 months now. i know these meds help because about a year ago i was on the verge of a nervouse breakdown and the meds eventually calmed me down and helped me live my normal life again. 
    • Posted

I I know the feeling of being depressed for no reason is weird, but that is the nature of this type of depression. There is something in your lifestyle that is not healthy for your mind and it may be something so natural to you that you don't realize it. 

I'll respond again soon with what I discovered. But keep in mind, the reason is different for everyone 

• Posted

You are so right, Matthew.  We have to get to the root of the problem before we will feel better.
  • Posted

Hi Evan

Id say that this is because you missed your dose for 5 days and you need to stabilise again on that dose. I'm not a doctor though it it could well be because you missed your dose.

• Posted

Personally, I would increase it until you felt better.  That's waht my doc. always told me to do.  She let me increase/decrease as I felt like it.
  • Posted

Hi Evan,

Suspect it is still an effect from missing your dose for 5 days - will take some time to even it out in your system again.  Check with your doc, but missing 5 days can really throw things out of whack.

Best,

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.