Depression at 19

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi 

I'm a 19 year old male and am suffering from depression and anxiety

About 6 months ago I had to move house far away from where I had been bought up all my life... Too move I had to give up all my mates, sports and life style. I used to go out most weekends and do something. However since I have moved I have not been out once I don't know one person where I live now and no longer play sport. 

I now find it feel hard to leave my house and out of my comfort zone, I just want to all ways stay in bed and don't want to leave.

I don't really know what to do anymore I have been to see my GP and am on some medication and am having therapy and also now having to see a psychiatrist. I hate to make a fuss about it as there are so many other people out there who have much more serious conditions and illnesses

Is there anyone else my age suffering from depression and anxiety? Does anyone have any advise to offer as well? 

Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ross, You have come to the right place as people here will understand about Depression and Anxiety. I myself suffer with both so can understand. Medication can help to take the edge off but bear in mind it can take several weeks for these to kick in. Therapy is good too but again it takes time for these things to take effect. Take each day at a time and try to do something that you used to like a hobby maybe. Eat healthy and exercise even if it's going for a walk, fresh air and exercise is great for Depression. Do some deep breathing exercises when your anxious. Hope this helps. Please stay with this forum as people can be very supportive. Remember your not alone with this.
    • Posted

Thanks for reply

I just find it very hard to stay motivated to do stuff... Thanks for the help and advise!

• Posted

Hi Ross.

I'm not your age but Indid suffer anxiety/depression atma very young age.

My new thing at the minute is meditation videos/audios on YouTube that help mind,body and soul. I find them especially beneficial on the days that I just haven't got the strength to fight. I think they help push positives into our minds which we can sometimes struggle to do ourselves. Like somebody else is doing the work for you when you can't.

You have had a lot of adjustments which is bound to of rocked your world and made you feel incredibly lonely. 

Have you thought about joining a gym or doing a bit of volunteering at a youth club maybe...That way you are seeing fresh faces,passing the time of day and working your mind. 

Or even sign up for a course. Learn a language or maybe do a counselling course,anything. They do some belting ones with the lifelong learning centres. The good thing about them is when you join,everybody is in the same boat,,joining on the same day so you wouldn't feel out if place. Plus they are just a few hours one day a week so you wouldn't be overwhelmed xxx

• Posted

Thanks for the reply and advise, I have tried to join gyms and do activities, however worrying just takes over and then I don't end up going... So it's just easier to stay in comfort zone. However I will try to make this a mission to do at some point when I feel up to it. 

Thanks for the help! 

• Posted

Oh and Ross. Forgot to say. This isn't a forever thing. It will pass.

If you are finding it hard to motivate yourself...set yourself small goals and then give yourself a big slap on the back that even with depression you managed to achieve this goal.xx

• Posted

I hope it isn't a forever thing!!! At the moment it feels like I will never get rid of it... But hopefully one day it will just click and start to feel better
  • Posted

Try church. It's a good way to meet people
  • Posted

it does get better but it takes time to mend.  Hope you feel better soon.

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.