Depression but on warfarin

Posted , 6 users are following.

since a pe a few years ago i have had to take warfarin. i have been very depressed and anxious during this time and they have tried many anti depressants, none of which my body will tolerate. i wanted to take turmeric but have been told i cannot due to interaction. i woukd like to drop the warfarin and take it, can anybody advise?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Do you need to be on blood thinners for life? How did you get your PE?

• Posted

Hi Ann,

I had a PE last June eight weeks after a replacement hip op, I was put on apixaban for three months, but after a month I felt really ill. I had had a slight headache and mild sickness but nothing I could not cope with for three months. After the first month the headache became really bad along with the sickness, then anxiety kicked in , I was shaking inside, I felt really ill and scared.

I went to see my GP the next morning and told him I was not going to take it again, he said what about warfarin I declined, he said you are taking a risk, which I acknowledged, he said buy root ginger and drink ginger tea.

I do now drink water (including ginger tea), take natural anticoagulant supplements and food, exercise a lot.

• Posted

i did not like apixaban either. dr says i must stay on warfarin but i think its making me depressed. i had p.e five years ago. i dont want to take this stuff anymore.

• Posted

Ann,

At the end of the day it is your body, your life you can take drugs if you wish, you can refuse drugs if you wish, doctors can only advise.

I have never been a drug mule for pharmaceutical companies and will go natural whenever I can. There are anticoagulant supplements and foods, but I do educate myself before deciding which road to take. I know the dangers of long term use of anticoagulants from family members.

Only you can decide which road you wish to take.

• Posted

weve tried apixaban and riveroxaban and warfarin.not good on any. my cousin died on riveroxaban and hadnt had a clot in her life. i hate these drugs

• Posted

Getting medical advice from an internet forum is not a good idea. There are many other anticoagulants available, so I'd suggest you speak to your doctor about trying another one if you aren't tolerating warfarin.

• Posted

My husband got really bad reactions to warfarin...one side effect was getting quite 'nasty'.

I suggest you go back to your consultant and ask to be put on a different anticoagulent. Mick tried two before staying on apixaban...but there are others.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.