Depression, can it be inherited?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im not going to lie, my knowledge on depression is a bit limited in some areas. Ive had depression for roughly 3 years now and coping is hard at times.

I just wanted to ask, can depression be inherited? Some people say it can and its in your genes, some people say its your brain chemistry. I do know that through my dads side of the family theres a history of it (theres been some sucides).

Is there a definite answer? Or is it purely dependent on the individual?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello R, to my knowledge there is insufficient knowledge of genetics to establish 'for a fact' that depression is an inherited trait. Please remember that you are made from both parents, and so even if it was, it could missed or diluted. By observing the many of us that have depressive illness I think it has been shown there is an increased likelihood of depression when it's in your family. This doesn't mean you must have it, or that it will be as strong. In my case the was no family history of it. When we experience depression it has been observed that some brain chemicals are affected, but I don't know which came first if that makes any sense. I think depressed people are more intelligent than average, so that's my favourite cause smile

Best wishes for a good day ! David.

• Posted

As above, I have limited knowledge, other than my own experiences. I've been suffering from depression for as long as I can remember. I've always been a bit sensetive and taken stuff straight to heart, which I guess doesn't hep much but My dad went through a depression when I was young and alot of how he was with me during that time has effected me. So I'm not sure if I suffer from depression because of how I was treated by him or whether its just in my genes.
  • Posted

Hi Q,

Since you mention influence from your dad's behaviour, it is still affecting you. IMHO maybe you could benefit from some CBT and rapid eye movement therapy ?These helped me to break the hold of some bad memories and create some good thoughts to focus on. I don't mean to tell you what to do or what would work for you, but if someone had said that to me 5 years ago (and I had been in a place to hear) I reckon that would have been 4 years less suffering.

Along with intelligence, being a sensitive soul also appears (to me) to be common. It's funny because while we are often sensitive types, I can be a right pain to others when I am in a bad place. Ranting and carrying on etc. My reactions are way out of proportion. For what it's worth, I have said and done things while depressed that I don't see as being me. So that's 4 years less suffering for me and those around me too.

• Posted

Thanks for this David. I had CBT for a little while last year and felt alot better for it. But a situation with my job has brough me right back down again. Old barriers have come back up and those were originally put there by my dad. So I know he is the underlying issue which needs sorting. I'm open to any suggestions to be honest.

I think my counsellor did a bit of rapid eye therapy with me. I forgot about that. I'll look back into it.

• Posted

The rem stuff can be repeated as may be required if you find memories are holding centre stage.

Here's one: so simple - so powerful - put yourself on an employment agents list and have them send you some jobs. Don't have to respond, don't have to leave existing. Just knowing I could if I wanted helped me. These hands are small but they are my own. In fact, this is my first week of freedom , yippee ! Small victory dance being enacted ...

• Posted

Genetics, at least so I think and been told, just like arthritus and heart problems are at least partially to be blame. It is a warning sign to strive extra hard to either over come or avoid. I don't think it is written in stone but maybe just say the cards are stacked against you if its in your genes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.