Depression days before period?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. My problem is that I usually have depressive episodes that I am treating with a psychologist, but I have noticed that about 1-2 days before my period the depressive disorder is very intense.

Does anyone know if there can be a hormonal relationship?

Thank you all.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Yes, it can be due to the shifts in hormones that occur during the luteal phase of your cycle (that is, after ovulation). Before your period starts, progesterone levels (along with estrogen) drop -- this can trigger anxiety & deep depression in some women. For others, stress hormones like cortisol, epinephrine, and norepinephrine can contribute to those feelings and a sense of overwhelm. It can also be caused by an imbalance in thyroid hormones especially if you've been stressed during the past 3 months. (If you're wondering if this is correct, check @autoimmune.period.productivity on instagram.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.