Depression dip

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I was just seeking advice and possibly reassurance. I went through a really bad depressive episode 2 years ago and after what felt like a lifetime and lots of trial and error I found medication that helped me, anyway I was doing really well until a week ago. Had the odd bad day which I could cope with but a week ago I started having that horrible sense of doom and sadness wash over me again. My question is.... is this normal? Am I bound to have dips like this or does it sound like I'm relapsing? I've managed to pull my psychiatrist appointment forward and see her next week but I'm worried that she will want me to try new medication because I'm already on highest doses of my meds and they was working great until recently, this scares me because of the hell I went through finding a med that suited and also the hell I will go through getting off my meds. Does anyone else go through blips like this and manage to pull through? I'm really hoping I'm not relapsing as I don't know if I can get through that hell again. Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks... Leanne.

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Leanne - depression is such complex ailment. Hard to pinpoint and treat. I was wondering while reading your post whether depression appears anywhere else in your family? There can be a genetic component to depression. Was there an event in the last week that might have instigated this episode? Also, there are seasonal disorders - i.e. some will feel blue and down when winter rolls around. Dips in one's mood and energy are certainly a feature of depression. How is your diet? Are you exercising - even just a daily stroll around the beach or park will help. Sunshine lifts the mood and is important for Vit D.

Keep that appointment and see what the psych has to say. There may just need to be a slight adjustment of your meds dosage-wise. If new meds are recommended and you agree to try them, I would think a transitional period will be required as you are on the highest dosage with your current meds. Try not to worry about what might be - your appointment is just a week away. Meanwhile hang in there and we are always here to talk.

• Posted

Hi thanks for the reply, both sides of my family have family members that have suffered some form of mental health. I did become really stressed a couple week ago, I met someone as I thought I was ready to let someone in but it turned out I wasn't ready and it just made me feel very anxious stressed and low when I was around them so I ended it but that's the only thing that has happend until that happend I was doing fine, I felt good. My diet is good. It's not the seasonal depression as I like the winter months I prefer it to summer. I do manage to get out and about as I have very good friends that check in on me and get me out doing things even when I really don't want to. I will keep my appointment although I am very nervous about it. Thank you again for your reply. Leanne

• Posted

Hi again Leanne - thanks for responding. We sound similar - mental health issues on both sides of the family, very careful about letting anyone in, responsible diet and yes, I too love the winter months. Makes me feel safer somehow. Good luck with your appointment and we are always here to talk.

Hypercat - thank you so much for that - you have always been so supportive and when I think of this site you are the first name that comes to mind. Hope all is well with you.

• Posted

hi Im the same Leanne. After 3yrs trial amd error im finally on meds which work well but having same problem as you now. i spoke to doctor about it and she said Im actually the same at this time every year and usually okay by end of feb. shes right when i think back.Next appt at beginning of february to see how i am but gave me crisis team number incase im desperate for help. hope you okay and feel better soonxxx

• Posted

Thanks for replies. I hate it I just feel myself slowly going downhill and I feel like theirs nothing I can do to stop it. I guess I just gotta ride it out and hope I don't get as bad as I was before because that was a very dark place and it scared me so much I was suicidal but before depression I loved life I was a very happy go lucky girl. Now I'm a miserable mess. I just want to be better for my little girl. Hoping my pych can help me.

• Posted

i too had what i call a mental wobble same time last year. i put last years down to getting a puppy and getting panicky about being able to look after it properly, i thought it was a form of post natal depression. but exactly same time this year the depression/anxiety has come back and idont know why.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.