Depression, dizziness, stuttering, nightmares

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had any experience having all of the aforementioned in my title?

I had a breakdown @ the beginning of June due to work related stress and was hospitalised for 3 weeks, the week I was admitted, my balance went (I've previously had 3 other bad experiences, since I 1st had Labyrinthitis in 2002), I started to have 'waking' nightmares (which are making me very anxious at bedtime & also if I feel sleepy during the day, as I have them then too) and developed a stutter (originally with neck spasms, but they've stopped thank heavens!).

I have my 1st outpatient psychiatric appointment next week, but would be so grateful to hear from anyone suffering from any combination of my current afflictions!! (the stutter is causing much amusement to friends & family alike!).

I would particularly like to hear from anyone with dizziness/vertigo/balance problems who have found a form of exercise that they are able to do. I have been back to my yoga class, but find myself very frustrating - as I can't do a lot of the postures anymore (just floorwork really). Has anyone tried swimming?

Thanks so much,

Lea :0)

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply Liz, I have never had any problems crying (quite the opposite, to be truthful!), and since doing a course starting as an inpt and finishing as an outpt called 'Writing for therapy' have had no problems expressing myself either (the course was very powerful & has changed my life irrevocably - for the better).

The Hospital were originally concerned that the nightmares, stuttering and neck spasms were due to medication, but after changing it several times came to the conclusion that they were all due to my being on the ward, as I had never been on a Psychiatric ward before (a Psychiatric ward can be a very frightening place to be & the first 3 nights that I was there, some of the male patients 'kicked off' (threw furniture around & were generally behaving in a very violent way) & the police were called. Also, there was a panic alarm, linked to all 4 Psychiatric wards which went off so many times a day, I couldn't count them. I quickly learned that I was the 'luckiest' pt on the ward - with people who care about me & a job to go back to when I'm better, I was also the only (I believe) pt without an addiction to drugs, or alcohol.

I am, on the whole very much a half glass full person, who is optimistic, but am finding it difficult to cope with my (constant now) lack of balance and the 'waking' nightmares (some of which have been really badand made me very anxious about sleeping, even dropping off during the day for a nap). I have 'waking' nightmares, where I am conscious and can hear sounds going on around me but usually find it very difficult to open my eyes to get myself out of the dream (I am then very scared to close them again, as I did that once or twice in Hospital and went straight back into the nightmare again).

I made a similar post on the 'dizzy times' website (which I joined back in 2002, when I first had Labyrinthitis) and have had a reply from a senior member suggesting that I may have a condition called endolymphatic hyrops & to ask for a referral to a neurotological consultant. My 'stuttering', doesn't bother me and only gets really bad if I'm excited, tired or try to talk too quickly (interestingly, I have had a few really good days since I've been home, balance & nightmare wise and my stutter almost completely disappeared during that time.

I'm going to do this next week, as I have a GP app, along with my first Psychiatric Consultant's app as an outpt & a Cardiac Consultant 1st appointment (I had a routine ECG when I was admitted to Hospital, which showed abnormal T-waves).

I am looking into Hypnotherapy, but would like to find out first, from my GP or Psychiatrist, if it is available on the NHS.

Thank you SO much for your interest in me.

Lea :0)

• Posted

hi lea

im sitting on my sofa writting this and its very difficult for me as at the mo im feeling very strange and not sure if it is dizzines or somethig else but the feeling is horrid i was driving today and nearly crashed because of this feeling like im detached from my body i went for a walk today and feel like im going to fall i to have nitmares and have to take a sleeping tablet otherwise im running round the bedroom in a panic i have had the so called anxiety for over 15 years on and off i some times dont belive i have anxiety as ive never known an illness to be so cruel its taken quite a chunk of my life and still is i take the tablets and do the therapy but it still doesnt seem to go completely. i do try to ignore the symtoms and think im fine but they seem to creep back your syptoms sound very much like mine i do find the phyisical symptoms hard to deal with but keep hoping the will go i think id rather have an illness that can be seen and treated i hope you make a full recovery and wish you good health. wink

• Posted

Thanks Pindi, you too.

I haven't driven since the end of March & it's one of my worries, if they decide that I have meniere's - I have to give up my driving licence.

I try not to take sleeping tabs if I can avoid it because I don't want to become dependent on them, but have decided to take them for 3 days on the trot (to give me a break from the nightmares) - tonight will be my last night. I hope you recover soon and if I find out anything at my Hospital appointments that I think might help you, I'll let you know............. :0)

• Posted

Hello Lea

What a horrible time you are having. Yes, hypnotherapy can be gained on the NHS however it depends on your GP if they will refer you. Look for someone who does NLP too as I think the combination would get you great results.

Good luck

Liz :o)

• Posted

Hi Liz,

Thanks very much for that. I have always tried to use a tiny bit of NLP on a daily basis for years (ie: talking to myself & telling myself that I am happy etc), but would be very interested to see how it would work for me if I were'professionally' taught how to use it. I have been referred for CBT, but the waiting list is long (4 months).

I'd be very grateful if you could reply, mentioning any of my problem areas in particular which you think could be helped by Hypnotherapy & NLP - I have a great GP and I believe that if I offer her a valid reason, she will refer me.

Thanks again,

Lea

• Posted

Hello Lea

I would suggest in particular for you to find a practitioner who does Timeline Therapy as well as NLP and Hypnotherapy, as this allows you to learn how to let go of negative emotions such as anger, sadness, fear, guilt, hurt, etc as well as removing limiting beliefs which are holding you back. I have also cured someone's stutter by using timeline. It will have a big impact on anxiety too. Nlp will help as it sounds like you need to look into the reasons why you feel out of balance. Often we set up ailments based on how we are feeling. By learning new techniques and letting go of your fears, you can resolve the underlying issues. Hypnotherapy will seal in the changes as well as helping you relax properly and to deal with the anxiety you are feeling.

When I did my training I did a mix of NLP, Hypno and time line, so it should be easy to find someone. You could also learn how to do Emotional Freedom Technique (tapping) so that you can tap away the anxiety yourself. Go on Youtube and you will find videos tellling you how to do it.

Good luck!

Liz :o)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.