Depression following TKR - personal research ...

Posted , 17 users are following.

I'd like to do some personal research that I'd like you all to help me with ...

I don't want to focus on this horrible negative response to our surgery, but I feel it might help me and others, to know how important this side effect is in influencing our recovery and how others have dealt with and recovered.

So ... can we give it a go? 

Just put your surgery date, surgery type (TKR, Partial, Bilateral etc) .. and depth of misery (I say that tongue in cheek, lets not all get too depressed over this) and at what point in time. Add what helped (if anything other than just time?) 

Cheers and keep smiling (says she with tears in eyes, lol) 

Lindy

I'll start:

27/4/15 - TKR - a little teary when I started coming off meds at around 4 weeks. Removed last Morph. (Norspan) patch 5 days ago. Depression and insomnia - bad since.

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

21/07/2014 TKR

Broken sleep, discomfort and tiredness for first 6 weeks or so. 

Would not go as far as to say I was depressed but I got extremely frustrated at the lack of real progress and seeming to go one step forward then three back! 

The tiredness continued for 3 months or so and the frustration a lot longer! I remember struggling to enjoy going out and looking forward to getting home and going to bed.

This got better after about 6 months but it's only recently that I can say my confidence has been restored and I feel happy in doing most normal things. Being on my feet a lot is no longer a big problem and that's a lovely feeling.

What helped?

I was lucky that my physio dept kept me going and I went on an advanced rehab course for 8 weeks. I was also given a lot of individual exercises to do which I still do each morning for 20/25 mins. Although it's been a long haul, I do believe they have built up my muscles and my leg is consequently stronger. This has helped with mobility and discomfort and it was primarily these problems that were getting me down.

So, nearly a year post op I would say it's all been worth it but it is a hard slog and you need to be patient.

Jen 

• Posted

01/06/15 partial knee replacement am 5 weeks post op and at week 2 hit depression my main gripe is with terrible sciatica which nurse thinks could have been aggravated by my walking awkwardly! Can manage with 1 crutch if I go out of the house but indoors manage without it! So far the only real discomfort from surgery seems to be my knee feeling like a dead weight and a bit of pain at back of knee! I'm still taking co-codamol to combat the pain but it's more of an ache now not sure if it's sciatica related or because I'm using my thigh muscles more but a lot of discomfort in thigh of operated knee,

desperately tired all the time and if I could get comfortable would sleep all day!! Hope once I see doctor regarding sciatica something can be done and I get to sleep better at night

• Posted

TKR 18 Feb 15 (right knee, aged 36)

Also other bits in leg to strengthen.

Initial pain and bruising extensive.

Morphine and then Oxycodene.

Came off Oxy at 12 weeks. Need more surgery and MUA to straighten (29 July). Just on cocodamol and ibuprofen now. Need crutches to walk any distance still. Pain minimal now most of time if I stay on top of exercises. Physio increased bend to 90 degrees and extension stuck at -30. Surgery should fix this though. All in all still a success. Leg much stronger than it was.

• Posted

9 January 2015 . . First two weeks unmitigated hell.  Sleep impossible. tears copious, wished I hadn't had it done, couldn't even take one step until 9 days . . the leg just wouldn't seem to move (realise now it was probably more psychological than physical but the swelling was very bad)  Improvement started the day the surgeon grudgingly gave me a prescription for tramadol (until then, from day three, had only been able to use paracetamol as everything else is prescription only over here)  Immediate improvement in outlook and energy levels, ability to fight back although still some really bad days.  Difficult coming off tramadol at about ten weeks. . hallucinations, rapid heart beat, nausea, trembling, diarrhoea, not just restless leg syndrome, but the whole darned body . . depression etc. sorted out when I could get more tablets and do it gradually.  ttally off painkillers about 14 weeks.  Now at six months, it is no longer my major preoccupation. Walk well, still problems with going down stairs. . but life ls looking good!  A warning to tramadol and co codamol takers . . don't give it up suddenly!  
  • Posted

TKR 3/11/15 stayed in hospital 3 days, used walker, 5 days in-patient rehab where I used a cane. I took myself off of all pain meds when I left rehab, they really didn't seem to help and I didn't like how they made me feel. Stopped using cane at 4 weeks. Had 6 weeks of out-patient therapy, where I was told  they couldn't do anything else for me because my quads were not responding to treatment.  My surgeon has ordered an MRI of my lower back to r/o herniated disc and an EMG to see if there's nerve damage from the tourniquet used doing the surgery. Of course I've had my ups and downs and I am adjusting to the issues with my quads, hopefully these tests will find the problem and the issues can be corrected.
  • Posted

30-3-15 TKR in Australia hospital 2 days then rehab hospital for 13 days, doing 4hr physio a week incl Hydropool work.

Started to feel tearing and depressed 4th week when realised independence has gone can't do things I would normally do everyday and then I couldn't watch my son play soccer as I was to swollen and sore to get out..,

Have a bend of only 60degrees the depression lasted on and off couple of weeks but great family and love ones support and positive energy helped.

Have no choice to look forward I know will eventually get there I'm sure but it has its moments still.

Had MUA June 5th hasn't worked still bend only 62deg excess scar tissues is the issue I saw my surgeon on June 25th and he has give me another 4 weeks to have different physio exercises focussing only on the bend, increase Hydropool work again only on the bend and has got me to go back to more pain and anti inflammatory drugs to get swelling down see if can get better bend. Feels that I am tiring myself to much and the swelling is not going down.

Seeing surgeon again on July 28th to see if any improvement if not will go to next stage but wouldn't tell me what that would be as he does not want me to get worried about that but just focus on telling the brain the knee can bend more...

So far no improvement still have positive thoughts must do but not looking promising for July 28th follow up surgeon appointment and what next.

In the meantime keep focussing on getting more bend in the knee....

• Posted

bi lateral 6/12/2012 broken leg as well hospital stay 12 days left hospital in serious pain but hopefull ,strong pain meds and aphysio 3 times a wk ,12/04/2013 back in hospital washout of broken cement wound opened up ,back on oxicondone ,sept 2013 back in hospital for MUA  out with pain block and high pain relivers ,20/08/2014 revision tkr start again on oxicondone 10 mths post op still on zydol (pain ) reducing it now and still on anti inflammorties but hopefully coming off them soon as im still a little swollen optimistic at last for future
  • Posted

Hi Lindy, TKR 4/2/15. Can't really call it depression, but in 2nd & 3rd weeks I felt not only low, but I wanted to climb out of my skin. Can't describe it any other way. Didn't lose any sleep, which must cause the worst miseries! And there were no tears, ever! I think I was back to "normal" by week 4, and stopped the meds (only paracetemol) by week 6. I had 4 aids in my recovery.

1) A schnauzer - never be without one, whatever the problem. 

2) A husband - while he was driving me mad, I didn't have time to be down for too long.

3) Happy pills - still going through the menopause, and after 14 years of hot flushes my serotonin levels are shot to pieces.

4) Reading about everyone else's terrible experiences, and realising how lucky I was.

I'm just over 5 months, feel great, twinges don't last for long, and I've almost forgotten how bad life was before the op.

Denise from Oz

• Posted

7.1.15  Right TNR In hospital 4 days. Had bad reaction to anesthetic as lost my taste buds, interest in food, had bad constipation.  Husband said I was low during this period.  Physio and Surgeon were very pleased with knee re bends and straightening. Eventually everthing settled down.

17.6.15 Left TNR in hospital for 5 days.  Had different anesthetic so came out feeling great for the first 3 wks.  Then like switching on a light, upset stomach, feeling very low.  Went to doctors said it could be the meds, etc.  Blood test show aneamic.  Now in second week of upset stomach.  Fed up with the BRAT diet so trying some fish, etc.  Got appt to speak to some re feeling so low and also starting Reiki to see if that will help.   Don't like sort of despression. Its just not me. 

By the way Physio very impressed with my flexibility, I now have straight leg and about 120 bend.

I know you shouldn't wish your live away especially at 66yrs but I just want this year to end and get back to living. No more ops for me!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.