Depression For Years

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been in a bad place for year just bottling things up, I had my first Trauma when I was 10 years old. I found my Grandad dead in bed, since then I have had 3 other serious Trauma and had counseling which at the time helped but as soon as the counseling finished I hit a low and started down hill again. I am now 60 and these Trauma were like they were yesterday. Time and time again I have thought of just ending my life by overdosing on some of the medication I am on, I also have mobility issues and suffer 24/7 being in chronic pain and getting very little sleep. I am so restricted I have built a shed that is still not finished, it's taken me 3 years to do 4 days work. any help or advise will be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

I am sorry you are going through this. You need support right now. Don’t try to go it alone. Get back into counseling and stay there even when you start to feel better. I am also in my 60s and had a very rough road. I do virtual counseling which works great. There are things that happen in our lives that try to knock us down but we can never give up. I refuse to give up., Even though sometimes I am feeling extremely low.

I know that trauma in the past can feel like it was recent but if you get the right counseling they can help you leave the past in the past. as traumatic as it was for you and myself, I have learned that I have to remember the past does not exist anymore. The future does not exist. All we have is now. The present moment. You can learn to find peace and joy in the present. For years I was traumatized by the past and worried about the future. I was missing out on life I was missing out on the present. I’m still a work in progress but it’s gotten better by living in the present moment. No matter how I feel, each day I remind myself of what I am grateful for even if it’s just a roof over my head. I do have grown kids and grandchildren Who I love dearly. They deserve me to be my healthiest that’s what I’m striving for.you absolutely can feel better!

do you have a doctor that can help you with the chronic pain? Is that what your medication‘s are for? I know there are pain clinics.

its time to take care of you! get that support so you can start renewing your mind with more positive thoughts, gratitude and joy. I do hope you begin to feel better soon! Take care ❤

• Posted

hi roderick, whilst i didn't find anyone dead in bed, i think like me you have ptsd! you need intense support, possibly emdr or similar? these types of support deal with trauma. this is nothing to be ashamed of or scared of. you just need the right sort of support. take 1 step at a time. have you had grief counselling? if not initially this may be helpful! poor you! look after yourself. p.m me if you want.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.