Depression getting worse

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I've been on mirtazapine for depression and anxiety for about a year now. Lately it's been getting worse, I constantly feel agitated, anxious and sad. Winter is nearly over and to me, that's a bad thing. The thought of everyone being out in the sun having fun whilst I am alone and miserable makes everything much worse.

I've been self-medicating with alcohol for a while now (not too much, I drink maybe a few times per week). I can't see anyway out of this; I don't know what to do, I feel so alone and isolated.

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lemons, I bet you are not supposed to drink alcohol on your meds.  A very tricky one, it can be dangerous to drink on anti depressants.  Try and get some help from your GP for stopping the alcohol.  Did you realise alcohol is a depressant?  Cognitive Behavioural Therapys (CBT) can help with the anxiety as well as the depression.  It is a favoured treatment in the NHS currently, if you ask your doc he/she can probably refer you.  Try and think what recent life events you may have had which have made you worse.  Try and talk to some friends, family, real people as well as on line.  Hope you feel better soon. Feeling like there is no way out does not mean that there isn't a way through your anxieties to a happier more relaxed life.  Good luck.wink
  • Posted

i also can relate to you.i been suffering since june.i dont understand whats wrong with me.i have been through some medicine changes.but i do know where your coming from.i dont feel good any more from the depression.if i did feel good for a day i wouldnt know how to act.
  • Posted

This is an example of how CBT could help

Your thought

"The thought of everyone being out in the sun having fun whilst I am alone and miserable makes everything much worse."

It is just a thought.  Challenge that thought for example by affirming (even though you don't feel it) "As the sun comes out I am going to go out to the park and talk to someone who looks nice, just to say hello."

• Posted

I know alcohol helps with anxiety but in the long run its a slippery slope, but you probably already know that.

I think you need to go back to the gp, they may only need to increase the dose or add an ssri to the mix which is often done with mirtazipine. What dose are you on at the moment?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.