Depression getting worse about where i live and the situation i'm in. What to do?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 25 year old man with my own failing business that i absolutely hate. I live abroad with my girlfriend of 5-6 years who likes living here where as i hate it. We moved from England to Mallorca just over a year ago and i thought it was the correct decision for us both, but now i want to move back closer to both my girlfriends family and mine.

My girlfriend is from Ireland and i would love to move there but she wouldn't. She is always saying she would love to be round her family more but yet wont move. I very rarely get to see my parents who live in England due to money and the cost of travelling there. It's causing me serious Anxiety and Depression and is quite frankly ruining my life. We are treated as second class citizens, have no friends and have no real chance of making a nice living as my business i failing and is seasonal and my girlfriend is in a dead end job that pays a terrible wage. There is no jobs because of the way Mallorca as an island works ie: its Massively over populated and practically everything is seasonal. And don't take this the wrong way but i HATE the people that populate this island.

I have been to speak to a professional but she didn't help at all and i have only got worse since seeing her. All she did was suggest i should take medication which i don't want to do as i'm only 25 and would rather sort the situation i'm in first.

I totally understand that moving will be hard but we have moved around before working abroad ect and moving back to Ireland and closer to England would at least bring us closer to family. 

Thanks,

Stuart.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Tell her how it's making you feel that you are struggling and you need to do something about it or it could see you only get worse with out the right help or support

• Posted

Hello Stuart my name is Diane. Boy this sounds like a difficult situation. I'm sorry that your experience with the professional did not work out. The first thought that came to mind after reading your email was I wonder if it would be a good idea for you and your girlfriend to see a professional together (a different one) since the two of you are on such a different page about what to do in this situation.  Another thought that I had is that in a similar situation I think I might feel trapped and I did feel trapped. Sometimes none of the options seem like good ones but there really is a good one its just that it's hard to think of the pain we perceive we will feel. All the while we are already in a massive amount of pain.  In my case I spent years trying to make a long marriage work at any cost the price became too high. I left a 28 year marriage in my mid 40's. Had to be. Don't know if this helps but these are my thoughts. Keep us posted we care and will be here for you! You are not alone. Diane

• Posted

I try talking to her but she never takes it seriously, i really don't know what to do anymore. I have told her that as soon as i have enough money im going.

• Posted

Hello again Stuart. Well at least you have started the conversation with her that you are serious about leaving that living there is not working for you in any way. I wonder why she doesn't take you seriously? Diane

• Posted

You have it controlled already. You told her you would leave as soon as you have the money. If she doesn't follow you. Its bad news. Does she know about all the problems you have because of living in Mallorca? I don't understand why she doesn't take you serious. She probably doesn't think it's serious. 😑Wish you luck hopefully you get enough money to leave and go back to your family. If she doesn't follow it was for the best. If she loves you she will follow you! Take Care💕🙏

• Posted

Good morning Stuart. Boy do I agree with 9999. Sometimes we have to save ourselves if we are in a sinking ship we put a life jacket on our loved ones and they chose to take it off what can you do? No! Swim to dry land.  Diane

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.