Depression - guilt over relationship

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all, I hope you are well. I've struggled badly with depression for the last 15 months, 6 of which I was absent from work due to it though I have been back since March and not missed a day.

For me, the root seems to be a relationship problem - I feel terrible guilt that I do not love my 'girlfriend' in the way I once did, I see it more as friendship now, but even then, I find it so hard to talk to her as I feel shame and guilt, as she has invested so much love and time in wanting to get me better. It took me about 4 months into the depression, though, to admit the problem, as I wanted it to be 'something else' and not my change of feelings to her.

I am struggling really badly with the guilt, but despite me being so honest with her now about things, she keeps saying spending time together and 'trying to work through it' will help. I'm at my wits end, I'm 38 and feel like this was my last chance for happiness. I just don't know what else to do.

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi. Tell her the truth. She deserving it and you too. Better terrible end than terrible without end. And if you feel like this was your last chance for happiness, are you happy? No one knows what it to come. But you will never find out if you stay.

But just to be fair, I am marred for 15 Years. And every relationship is changing with the time. No need to feel guilty about. Friendship is a better one of 2 possible ways. Another one is to feel nothing or hate. Sometimes it  is more important to be with someone you trust, than to be in love. Being thankfull to someone for taking care of you is just another shape of love. You can repay her with taking care of her. And shi will feel your love. Becouse this is how long term relationships works. Appreciate each other. 

• Posted

Hi inna, many thanks for your words, and sorry for taking so long to respond! I am still very much in a state of feeling 'stuck', sadly, but trying hard each way - any more advice is welcome!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.