Depression How long will it last ?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Most people will suffer Depression at least once in their  lifetime caused by job loss, marriage breakup or a Death in their family. This may only last for a short period of time then they will recover. They will continue life and many will not take AD medications. Although a few will take medication. for an extended period as death can take upwards of two years to recover from.

Some of the population will have a chmical imbalance in their Brain and will need ADs to increase the drug in their brain. This can be a problem that will reoccure throughout their Lives. Of course there are many in the population who are sensitised and are highly strung and will have reoccurance of a Depressive condition.

When people are Disabled with a chronic illness depression can become chronic and the person will need coping techniques, do you feel these techniques should be explained before the condition becomes worse or even when the Depression is only going to be short term ? How soon and quickly should ADs be given and should medications be prescribed for shorter periods of time in case depressives become reliant on these potent drugs

Do people here feel that the Medical Profession should medicate at the first stage of depression showing, or do you feel that if you go to see a CPN  ADs should be given out then ?

Do you feel depression whatever the cause should be treated straight away or should the GP arrange CBT without medication to give the patient time to recover at their own time.

There are many combinations associated with depression, it is not a given and all stages or types of depression need differing types of treatment.

When patients low mood leads to thoughts of suicide, what sort of intervention should be given, do you feel drug treatments could be held back and the person be hospitalised straight away?. Or do you feel the GP Surgery should be able to treat on site, and keep an eye on people with thoughts of death. at a place the patient knows.

Depression is a Cinderella illnes and treating severe illness can be heavy on staff time and medications.

How to people here on site think Depression should be treated especially in a work environment.

I am no GP it just seems mental disability is the poor relation in the NHS Environment ?

BOB

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

• Posted

May I ask why you want our opinions?

I feel like this is a dig at people with Depression for draining resources!

• Posted

I have a chronic disability, and the associated Reactive depression I suffer chronic Pain and have been on AD now on and of for 40 odd years.

It is a genuine question, People have real problems coming of these things, would it not be better to treat the condition before we become addicted to the stuff.

I am not a GP or trick cyclist, Just a normal person who will now never be able to stop taking these meds

BOB

• Posted

What makes you think you can't come off them?

I too have chronic physical health problems including constant pain, but depression came before that, approx 24 years ago when I was 11.

I hate taking antidepressants because i have, over the years, experienced horrific withdrawal symptoms. Having said that, here in the UK (are you UK based?), Psychological treatment is not readily available. I have been on the waiting list for CBT for 27 months! Through sheer desperation, I have resorted to medication. This is not a failing, or a weakness, nor should I feel guilty for draining resources, this is what I need to do to survive.

• Posted

I have been told I will be on them now till death

I am in two days time looking at ways to reduce all my medications without causing m any more distress, I am nearly sixty six a pensioner

• Posted

if taking a few tablets or speaking to people help recover from such a unwelcomed illness then why not,lifes short ,to short think thats were depression began with me and thinking about what happens at the end,tablets and speaking to people have helpped me get through the worse,so i say sod what it costs ,how about we reduce the MPS wage and that will pay for the lot and more
    • Posted

Gary

It is not the cost of the drug that is the problem. I is the time it takes to get relief and the period it will take to come of the drug.

We become addicted to the stuff and we start to be reliant and this time from beginning to end can become extended.

If you are given CBT the drug use can be wrong footed and the person recovers in six weeks. To start the medication it can take three weeks to get AD in your system and working, you will ned to be on them possible for several months at least then hav to be weened of them over an xtended period because of withdrawal.

Also when we take these medicationes our life is dumbed down and concentration can become shot.

BOB

• Posted

Depression itself affects my concentration terribly ?? there are some drugs that help combat that, so I suppose it's about trying to find what suits you.

• Posted

ive wondered if i would still be depressed as much now if i hadent of taken the tablets,thats somthing i wont know last time i came off them 6 months later i was back on anti depressants but more that the first time so should i of come off them???????/

• Posted

Thats something to discuss with your doctor. If your pills aren't working, you could try a different type of antidepressant, or ask for talking therapy? X

• Posted

I have taken strong medications now as mntioned before for a long time. Yes I take opiates as wll as AD and early this year I thought I was coming down with Demntia. I had five weeks of scans and tests and associated written tests at home. It was not dementia it was my short term memory that had gone west.

I took a wobbler last weekend and now they are watching me like a hawk. My problems started when I began to take these life changing medications. That is why I have asked the above question. We can be in danger of accepting medication of all good, we need to look at that phrase and consider what options we have.

• Posted

That is what I am getting at, did you directly go back on AD or did they try different things before they coked you up.

Just a thought

• Posted

If you change medications it will take an unknown period of time for your body to get used to the change, do you feel the extension into a diferent medication is extending your time being on these drugs

Just a possible thought, remember I am not a GP I am just Joe Public

• Posted

They've not 'coked me up'. They referred me for CBT-27 months ago, and I tried 3 antidepressants before they referred me to a psychiatrist who is now trying augmentation of 2 ad's.

Your situation does sound difficult, and meds aren't for everyone. It's so subjective.

• Posted

Hi Bob, Sorry to hear of your situation you are very strong to face up and ride this wave I applaud you.

You do ask a good question I have always in my own opinion believed some people are prone to depression thru their natural traits how they manage life whereas others its much deeper they are born with the imbalance then some people that have an episode which creates depression or anxiety marriage breakup death in family etc.

For me I think having my mother suffer depression and living quite a hard life pushed me closer to be a good candidate? I also used drugs as a teen when I should have been encouraging a healthy mind which I think may have upset the cart big time.My GP had me explore other options first before going down the AD medication avenue the CBT is something that can help however I couldn’t apply the techniques as good as I would have if not suffering.It kinda seemed like you have to do CPR on yourself when you’re having a panic attack….. AD really did center me I starting sleeping better and had no issues other than annoying side effects but in comparison that was fine by me.

Anyway that’s one view point I wish you well Bob.

• Posted

Thanks stevo

We can of course be affected by a unfunctional family or cruelty.

Bullying at school work or married life Disability is just one cause that may happen and cause us grief. We are who we are and that can be caused by the luggage of a family that picked up their problems from their Parents crueality and trying to make a child what they are not can really cause problems. Life is a real problem we fight our place in the world. We live life as intense as we can

• Posted

How do you feel do you feel if your mother had not suffered depression, would that have helped or make your depression less of a problem.

It is very strange I do not feel the need to take Opiates, I take a care and maintainance does and increase or derease the dose required.

They say addiction is different when you have a condition that requires treatment.

Your GP was wise to try and help without medication first I feel that can be a secret of control of depression 

All the best to you I hope you remain focused in life

• Posted

Hi Bob,

I dont believe I would have managed that well on CBT as it only gives you suggestions/techiques on how to train your thinking around depression/anxiety. I beleive my mind is unblanced and needs to have healthy level of serontonin and if that deplets thru stress or exhaustion then AD re-balances it. it would be nice if the medication diudnt have side effects however not sure that is possible however I want to be clear that if I didnt take AD I dont think you would be reading this from me...... its teh price I pay currently I am off AD's however if I relapse I will go back on in a heatbeat because feeling good is better than surviving with nothing....

• Posted

Stevo when we suffer depression we need to toughen up if possible, although we do take these wobblers every now and again.

Look towards hobbies and activities you love and extend the ones that give you that distraction. I am not saying you will not be low sometimes, sometimes is better than all of the time

BOB

• Posted

By its very nature, Depression takes away enjoyment you once had in hobbies, in life itself. It takes away your identity and strength and to suggest 'toughen up' is an ignorant comment at best!

If only Bob, if only I could toughen up ?? I am broken! I was broken before antidepressants, and I still am. I seem to be treatment resistant.

I was born into a family with one seriously mentally ill parent and the other violent towards their spice. They divorced when I was 8. I grew up hungry, bullied, anxious, uncertain, unsafe, guilty, grief stricken and wanted to die (and tried) by the age of 14. I have had antidepressants, sleeping pills, tranquillisers, anxiety management classes, counseling, cognitive analytical therapy and CBT. I am still ill. A current counselor suggests I need long term trauma therapy, but it's not available on NHS in this area.

What would you suggest???

• Posted

With me I do have hobbies although sometimes I feel like you unable to function. Like me you seem to have had a rough life where we have been beaten down throughout our lives

With me I started doing voluntary work in a Mental Health Day centre and I found being with like minded pople with some similair problems gave me support. Sinc then I have been with various voluntary agencies dealing with mental health issues and I found that helped me control my condition.

I suffer a reactive depression caused now by my Chronic Disability, my moods can change in a matter of minets and I become very ill

Tomorrow I have an appointment with a trick cyclist the first in a cople of years, the problem is I still feel unsettled, my mood has cleared so life is full of ups and downs.

In life I have made extensive changes and that has helped me settle in some way.

Suprisingly being on these types of sites has helped me it can be as good as CBT, as you can spit out your worries and oncerns.

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.