Depression is back

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

My primary diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder and I have a mood disorder and a personality disorder. I take 300mg of Venlafaxine and 200mg of Amisulpride. These help but in the last 6 months my depression is getting worse. I think I didn't realize how bad it had gotten but in hindsight I have most of the typical features. There is not much room to up the Venlafaxine and the anti-psychotics cause bad side effects at higher doses. What other medication options are there in the UK. I don't want to stop what I am on because it does work to some extent. My psychiatrist says there are more options but my appoinment is a little way out still. Technically I am dischared from primary mental health care but my psychiatrist is seeing me as a one-off as my GP is not well placed to advise. I think the issue is that life has been throwing me some curve balls recently, sick parents, pressure on my relationship etc. I have felt very suicidal again and that is scarry as I started to make plans.

BW, BM.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi im in a simular boat as you and im on same meds. Look i got to go to docs now but wont be back til 3pm i got do much to say so let m
  • Posted

G*D I absolutely hate those two meds, Effexor ( venlafaxine) is like a gag, I still felt upset and like crying but couldnt it was awful. And amysulpride can leave you like me with shaking hands, I had years of shaking hands and am at artist so that was awful I couldnt even pick up my food.that is one hell of a dose of it two. Its an antipsychotic do you lose the plot totally then?Sounds like they arent the right meds for you anyway. well I often tell people I find wellbutrin very good no real side effects atall leave you feeling and its generally quite controllable and the depression might arise sometimes but isnt devastating well twice a year maybe. And with it as a bipalar I also take Gabapentin which has many uses andis very good for anxiety better than vallium I find, you take 200 or 300 mg ( up to 900 if you need to and no harm) and you feel real cool as they say also I take Lamictol known to you as lamontrigine as a stableiser to stop my rapid mood swings.

You could try this mix might help you too.

There is always something turning up isnt there to make you dip I get suicidal too though having a husband who has problems himself and is dedicated and three grown up kids and a grandchild I cant quite do it. I am 70 so is husband I have had two heart attacks from stress and he has just had bad medical report this is much life throws at you and its hard to stay not depressed in that, you have to try and accept you can change anything by not caring for yourself first. If you are depressed you might not be able to communicate well with your partner, I think its important to keep explaining an eve apologising, its is hard to know what else to do except possibly change meds/. Gill

• Posted

Ah, I was also taking Lamotrogine but for epilepsy. Just come off it as it did not control my epilepsy sad Amisulpride does cause my legs to shake. I started on 400mg and just walked around in circles. I take the anti-psychotic as I get intrussive thoughts like people hate me, I am dirty etc. These are very distressing.

BM 

• Posted

BW BM

I gather you have tried talking out your concerns and looked at ways to control your negativity.

Only you can address your concerns and the best way to do that is to split each problem into small bites, then address each small bite of concern until each has been sorted. If you get stuck move onto your next problem and work on with that until you get stuck and move onto the next on. Eventually your problems will become smaller and others will disappear.

Address your concerns and try vaious diversions to clear the mind of your worries and concerns, Hopefully you will be able to move on and approach different oppertunities that will come to mind

BOB

• Posted

I'm working with a private psychotherapist and we are working through issues. She is very good but it is not enough to stop me slidding into depression sad  I think a lot of it is due to chemical imbalance and no amount of problem solving is going to make it all go away. I need meds to get through each day and that sucks.

BM

• Posted

Right, if 300 mg venlafaxine and an antipsychotic do not work, it is time to try the 'last resort' medications - irreversible inhibitors of monoamine oxidase (MAOi). In the UK there is a rule which says that these drugs have to be prescribed by a psychiatrist - a GP cannot start you on this group of meds. Now, MAOi are the most potent antidepressants in the psychiatric arsenal. They've been around for ca. 60 years, but as their safety profile is not as good as SSRIs, they remain underprescribed these days. The main problem is that they interact with almost all other medications, including many compounds available in OTC formulations. So if you're on MAOi and get a cold, you can't just go to a pharmacy and get paracetamol. Also, they interact with certain types of food (cheese, beer, yeast) and require the patient to follow a rather strict diet. But they help - phenelzine (Nardil) is considered to be the 'gold standard' in the therapy of depression and all anxiety related conditions. So... don't give up yet, there is still hope for you. Talk to your pdoc and see how it goes.

• Posted

Beer and cheese, ahhhh. I am already on a low FODMAP (for IBS) diet that is really restrictive but I can have beer and cheese. You may be right, I think it is time for the big guns.

BM

• Posted

I bet you havent had wellbutrin ( not and ssri) ot lamotrogine or gabapentin, the only ones that work for me and also you can take huge amounts of gabapentin to reduce anxiety( which is often what pople are suffering from before the depression sets in. So you are taking huge doses of what I consider a nasty drug which merely gags but doesndt take away depression. I Have a friend who is on MAO"s and finds them quite effective and has no trouble with them, I dont know that she is adhering to all the restrictions you mentioned. Do try wellbutrin it has no side effects atall that I have encountered, it works on dopamine mostly if not entirely a whole other approach to the usual

• Posted

Hey. U remind me so much of someone who was recently on the forum and has gone thru a tough few months really miss him. We had lots in common illness wise i had to reply to yr post as it struck my ♡ how bad u feel. Im at a low ebb and came off the forum but missed it so much xx i can relate to things being thrown at u from all angles too many too post. Im barely kping the lid on the pressure cooker just now. Yr not alone now x were all here feeling as u are and wondering why man can go to the moon yet theres no cure for this dreadfull illness yet. Big hug, xxx
  • Posted

OK, I have seen the pshychiatrist. He has decided that anxiety is still a large part of my issue. He is thinking of stopping the Amisulpride because it is having too much impact on my creative side and to prescribe Pregabalin instead. He wants to check with my epilepsy nurse first as I also have epilepsy. From what I have read this sounds like a drug that might work well for me. I would stay on the Venlafaxine. Any thoughts?

BM

• Posted

gosh if you are an epilepsy subject and have anxiety try gabapentin it should deal with both as its used for both, no side effects except tiredness if you take huge doses.

ventavaxine it the worst medication I have ever had, it made me into a zombie I felt but couldnt express, was totally unmotivated and just looned around all day feeling empty.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.