Depression is getting worse

Posted , 8 users are following.

what with major degenerative joint disease in my lnees , hands and shoulders it has shown up in my neck. i also have several other heath issues. apart from emergwncy trips to A&E ive not left my flat in months.

there's no room to fit a wheelchair ramp so im in a catch 22. i need to lose weight so i cam have surgery but if i cant move how can i lose the weight.

MY once active work and social life was enough to meet my needs but in space of 2yrs im practically unable to stand and feel nothing more than a burden.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles with degenerative arthritis. I have it in hip, pelvis, hands, neck & back. Of course here in the USA they've stopped giving opiates to people who need them. I spend most of my time on 2 heating pads.

I don't have as much mobility troubles as you & can only imagine your loneliness at being stuck in your home. I wish I had an idea of how to improve your situation.

Here in the state's we have a show "My 600 lb life. Many patients are bedbound & very ill. However they are instructed to move even if all they can do is lift their arms. Do you have access to a dietitian who can prescribe a low calorie diet?

I wish you all the best & hope I've helped in some small way.

• Posted

What kind of support system is there in your area? You need someone who can help you get started with whatever it takes to set you on the path to recovery. I wish you all the best. I hope with the new year things will take a turn for the better for you.

• Posted

So sorry to hear of your situation. I have had my knees, hips and one shoulder replaced. Two months ago I had a lower back fusion. My rehab for that is to walk 1 hour a day. At first I only walked a few minutes in my house. We have a very small house, 600 sq. ft. Then I increased to 30 min. I went to the grocery store to walk. I hold the cart. Now I have increased to 1 hour. 3 weeks ago I was allowed to add my recumbent bike. I started at 15 min, now I am up to 1 hour. So I do both. My point is, to start slow, a few min. and build up time.

As far as diet, I follow a combination, paleo and keto. If you eliminate sugar from your diet, you will lose weight. If you look at all packaged food, there is sugar. It isn't easy for the first couple of days, then you stop craving.

So are you totally unable to walk? If so, then start this diet. I don't consider it a diet, it is a life style. Once you get your knees replaced, then walking and biking will be important.

• Posted

I certainly understand your frustration. This arthritis thing just bites. Years ago they put gloves & things on "normal" people to try to get them to understand how hard it was for older people just to do daily living skills. With my arthritis, just getting out of bed & getting dressed requires alot of time, energy & gadgets. And I am not even old. Disability, even if you can get it means poverty on top of all the other problems. The weight issues, waiting for surgery, chronic pain ect is all a catch 22. You are not alone. Keep reaching out. You deserve to feel better anyway you can. I keep telling myself that God doesn't give you more than you can handle. This includes alot of shaking my fist heavenwards which someone once told me was the ultimate prayer. Just for today I will do the best I can. I wish the same for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.