depression is so unstable ain't it

Posted , 5 users are following.

well i am sure we all know the nasty sides to depression, i dislike it when my mood is just tolerable and then like a switch being switched it changes to a not so tolerable state. i never feel happy not even for a few minuets these days but do get some times in wich it is more tolerable than others. i use gaming as a distraction and it works quite well but i can't game if i am at a certain low i just can't concentrate then am stuck with painful boredom and the realisation of damn loneliness

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I use gaming to cope too. Sometimes though I'm wanting to play through a game and I keep thinking about it but I can't bring myself to just haul myself out of bed and actually play it. I don't even enjoy the stuff that I used to.

And I so sympathize with the agonizing boredom and loneliness. I just feel so weighted down and isolated and it doesn't seem to matter that other people are experiencing what I am it still feels like an isolating experience.

Makes me even feel sick.

I hope you get past your bout soon. Hope 2016 is a good year for interesting games that actually hold our attention

• Posted

wow yeah you totally get it. dam frustrating ain't it. thanks for your words smile
  • Posted

The first thing to distinguish is that loneliness is a carefully created construct by society. Acceptance that we are in an unnatural state of existence is nothing more than a rational observation. The advent of virtual reality based games is a conveniently specific example. How long have we been playing them, versus how long have we been foraging for food during our evolution. Our biology is at continuous war with our neurology, and our evolution as a society at war with our individual evolution.

That being said, acceptance and rationally observing the above is the first place I started with dealing with my depression (and how I currently deal with regular stabs of loneliness). From here things typically became harder. How do I cut down gaming which is briefly enjoyable to attune myself to my above rationality? If I am accepting that a virtual reality, by existence, is harming my actual reality, how do I therefore change accordingly? What makes this even harder is that it is definitely, definitely, not the games' fault. There are some games that have blessed me with so much knowledge and inspired so many angles of creativity that I still feel thankful for the experience in my teens. But, as with everything in life, the most fruitful conclusions seem to come when I constantly re-evaluate everything and keep allf acets of my life in check, dealing with what I can't handle as exactly what they are:- things I can't handle (therefore change)

Let me know if this is of any help as I can go on, and if I am not helping then I do not want to burden you.

• Posted

I have tried gaming but I haven't found one to keep my attention. I really wish I could, the loneliness is so overwhelming. I have cut myself off from the world over the last 2 years and l sometimes feel like I'm being sacked into black hole of sadness. It is impossible for the people around me to understand. I'm happy that I found this forum. I'm hoping that it will help me. Thanks for sharing!
    • Posted

I recommend The Last of Us or Silent Hill. Both have honestly helped me through my depression. The Last of Us will tear you into pieces and rebuild you a little better. Silent Hill is a psychological horror and I honestly can't explain how it helps too well but the characters are very normal and average and they're all facing the darker demons of themselves.
    • Posted

yeah me also i have not stept out side for 2 years only ever talking to 1 person face to face that hole time, it feels alien. some times to get my self to game i take a few painkillers and it lightens my mood enough so i can get a few hours on gaming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.