Depression meaningless of life, please help

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Around a week ago I read some article about a young man who killed himself after coming to the conclusion that there was no god and as such life is pointless. This terrified me and I suffered a terrible panic attack. Since then i have been really depressed (not really eating, just wanting to sleep all day research online about the meaning of life/ evidence for god etc). These thoughts about life and its meaning (or lack there of) are causing me major anxiety, distress and depression. I cant stop thinking that life may be meaningless if all we do is live for a short period then disappear into nothing forever and ever. People online seem to classify this as existential depression/existential ocd.Ive suffered from ocd/obsessive intrusive thoughts and anxiety for a few years now but thanks to medication (15mg of lexapro/cipralex) and therapy i'm able to live a somewhat normal life. I cant stop feeling really depressed and the anxiety of these thoughts come in waves throughout the day. Does this sound like depression? i dont want to feel like this anymore- I have a wonderful wife and beautiful daughter and need to pull myself round and be a good father and husband for them. Its like a switch has been flicked and all the light has went out of the world and im worried I will never feel happiness again. I have a appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow and i'm hoping I get a stonger dosage of meds or something. I have contacted my former therapist also. Has anyone experienced this or something similar? Am I losing my mind of is it ocd and depression?

Thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jordan. I do not think that you are losing your mind! I am so glad thy you wrote into us today and that you have made appointments with your psychiatrist and your therapist. You are definitely not a proscrastinator. In my experience we can fixate on a thought and let it scare us to pieces like this one about God. Maybe you can turn it into a positive and start looking into where you are in the spiritual side of you. Like what do you believe but don't obcess on it. What do you think? Diane

• Posted

i completely understand where ur coming from, u r so not alone, best wishes, 
  • Posted

You are not losing your mind, but you are having classic symptoms of depression.

Please read the Quran , don’t get worried when I say this, please don’t base Islam on what the media portrays it,

It’s such a wonderful experience and will answer your deepest question in your heart my friend, please it will really helpbtake your focus off the depression and it may even make u feel better.

God bless x

• Posted

Hi Jordan - it sounds like depression - and you have had treatment for other issues previously. See your doc and discuss with him. 

The cause of your last attack - that life is meaningless and there is no God - is shared by others. I have never doubted the continuum - the body dies, the conscious (soul) continues. I am not and have never been religious - although it was forced on us as children. My education came about not only by studying Near Death Experiences but also nursing the dying. After 40 years of such exploration i have absolutely no fear of the process of death. And, if it transpires that my conclusions are rubbish and death really is the end, then i won't know a damn thing about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.