Depression medication affected by Covid

Posted , 2 users are following.

Has anyone else found that their depression/anxiety was adversely affected by Covid 19? I had unpleasant but relatively mild Covid symptoms. Bad headache, eye pain, sneezing, mild fever/chills, fatigue and complete loss of smell/taste. However, 3-4 days into my symptoms I became manic, angry, suicidal thoughts, threw things. I had to contact the GP who prescribed Mirtazipine 15mg in addition to my regular 20mg of Citalopram. They are helping my sleep and 5 days into them I am much calmer.

I realise Covid can stop neurotransmission from nose to brain so it makes sense that it could affect my medication especially the Citalopram. it was like being thrown into sudden withdrawal. Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi sally i have had a similar experince. i had covid in july and ghe day i came out of isolation my anxiety went through the roof, i was on the citalorpam at 20mg for many years. ive had a terrible few months of anxiety. had my dose increased to 30mg i think im just starting to settle on it. how are you?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.