Depression mixed with antibiotics

Posted , 5 users are following.

I currently have depression and anxiety issues. I'm not currently on medication as I took myself off it. It changed who I was as a person and it became noticable. I became 10x more sensitive and my ability to take a joke and have a great sense of humour is most of who I am. things were going really well until I got a urinary tract infection and started taking antibiotics. Is it possible that a UTi or the antibiotics taken FOR the uti can cause a relapse in anxiety/panic attacks? I am also now tired all the time and cannot concentrate on anything. I have no emotion for anything or towards anyone even when on antidepressants which I am okay dealing with but when it comes to panic attacks i go crazy. 

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

UTIs along with antibiotics can make you have all those symptoms.  Drink lots of water. (Like a gallon and a half a day, at least.). Take it easy for a few days and let your body heal.  Any infection can make one sluggish, anxious and just "not right".  Look up the side effects of your AB and see what they are.  Maybe then you will have a clearer picture of what is going on.  Hope you feel better real soon.
    • Posted

You poor baby!  Did the doc give you just one ab for the pneumonia and uti?  No wonder you are depressed with all that you have been going thru.  I hope you get relief soon but in the meantime, baby yourself as much as possible.  Keep us posted.😎
  • Posted

I dint know but wouldn't you think a doctor who has spent so many years training would know if there was going to be an issue mixing the two. Talk to them about your concerns and maybe they can come up with a better AD. I really wish you all had a GP as amazing and understanding as mine.
    • Posted

I got better in November🌺...went to NZ for 5 weeks. Had new windows fitted in Feb! I'd had big argument with my daughter and we didn't speak for 3 months....that brought back the depression in April
  • Posted

Hi danni,

Im not sure about the effects of mixing antibiotics and antidepressants. I think it's unlikely that you would be prescribed medications that are contraindicated.

I know from personal experience and the experience of family and friends that a UT infection can have a vary noticeable effect on mood and anxiety.

The last time I had a UT infection I became very impatient and bad tempered. I suffer from PTSD so family and friends put my change in temperament down to that. I have a nurse that visits me and she said I might have a UTI. She took a urine sample and sure enough I did have an infection!

The infection had caused my symptoms of anxiety to get worse. I found that after my UTI had been treated my anxiety level returned to the level it had been previously. Which is still problematic but at least responds to medication up to a point.

I really hope your anxiety and panic attacks become manageable. I've been given such excellent help and advice here by some very kind and knowledgeable people.

• Posted

I'm taking antidepressants and antibiotics at the same time and my doc prescribed both. I also take antihypertensives and blood thinners
    • Posted

Thanks that was exactly what I meant, that doctors wouldn't prescribe medications if they were contraindicated. Therefore it's highly unlikely that antidepressants and antibiotics together would present a problem. Certain antipsychotics and antibiotics are contraindicated. I know this because I was treated with Quitiapine for my PTSD some years ago. 😊
    • Posted

Cheers Ian......my brain feels a bit brighter this afternoon.....hope it's the start of new beginnings
    • Posted

Docs prescribe contraindicated drugs all the time.  They don't have the time to keep up the daily influx of new drugs.  It is our job to be proactive and research the drugs we are given before we take them.  Not only do some drugs not mesh with other drugs, they can quite commonly be adversely affected by foods we eat.  There are websites you can check all this out and I would do it post haste.  Knowledge is power and docs are not gods, just people who see scores of folks, yet know little about them.  Get a second opinion and research, research, research. 😎
    • Posted

Doctors have always used the Mimms guide.  I saw a young doctor yesterday and she referred to her "bible" to look for contraindications
    • Posted

Most doctors surgeries now have a software programs that will flag up any contraindications. So let's say someone was prescribed Ventolin for asthma and then came in complainting of palpitations. The doctor might start to write a prescription for propranolol and the software would kick in and point out that the patient is prescribed asthma medications and it would mention that beta blockers are contraindicated for people with asthma and it would suggest a calcium channel blocker which does the same as a beta blocker but presents no risk to an asthmatic patient.  I agree that doctors often prescribe contraindicated drugs, but it's usually for some off label reason. They shouldn't prescribe contraindicated drugs that could cause problems, but I'm sure they occasionally do.
  • Posted

Google is the worst invention when it comes to checking drugs etc. Particularly if you suffer anxiety or paranoia. Its full of degenerates... I've recently been trying to find something ti help me sleep I can discuss with my doc. All I get I hoe to get high, parachute them, plug them and instructions for cold water extraction. Stop reading up on problems with drugs and talk to your GP. If he isn't switched on get a new one you trust and knows what they are talking about
    • Posted

While it is true that one can be misled using search engines but there is also a phenomenol amount of good information out there.  We have to look out for ourselves and our loved ones and when find a credible site, made for folks just like us, they are very beneficial.  To just say something is the worst invention ever may mean you just don't know what to search for.  Look up insomnia.  You probably won't get a drug named for this because it is such a complex issue.  I recommend soaking in a hot bath with a cup of Epsom salt, 1/2 cup baking soda and if you are game, a little pure essential oil, like lavender or orange.  Good luck.
    • Posted

I just read your Comment KMRC and I think it's great advice. I'm definitely going to try the hot bath with Epsom salt, and a little essential oil. It sounds so soothing. I love coming across all the little nuggets of gold I've found on this forum. I'm so glad I joined this forum, I've learned quite a few really great calming techniques.

Thanks again KMRC.

• Posted

I agree.....I think Google searches are good. That's how I knew I'd been correctly diagnosed with pneumonia, by reading the symptoms.
    • Posted

Do the bath thing about 30 minutes before retiring for the night.  I hope this works for you, it makes me feel like a tired noodle! 😎
    • Posted

Now that is sad.😕  It is hard to soak in the shower!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.