Depression or Unhappiness?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Sadly some get real depression and it is awful, taking over your life and often having severe physical symptoms but there are just as many who claim they are depressed when it is really being unhappy, lonely or whatever.

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

I do agree with you Carmel as my other thread suggests that I am sceptical about depression and how loosely people apply the diagnosis to themselves.  However, I don't think I have truely experienced it therefore cannot really pass judgement on this who suffer from it.  I have attended the depression recovery course with 30 other people.  And there are some attendees who are quite vocal about their condition. Ie, they hate their job, struggle to get out of bed for work, get home tired unable to do anything else, etc.  I already feel that I am being judgemental but I cannot easily tell a room full of strangers what I am going through.  I cannot tell family, friends or anyone around me.
    • Posted

At least you went there and tried it Amelia, good for you.

Sometimes, though, like we have said, people are too quick to say they are depressed. For example the ones who hate their job. Why did they not study hard so that they could be more picky about which job to take in the first place? I have come across a lot of people like that.

They are often too lazy to study so that they can get a good job and then moan about how boring and badly paid their job is when it was their choice. And being bored at work and being on a low income is not depression it is unhappiness.

It is a great shame you cannot tell people around you but I remember when I was bad with it I could not tell anyone, those who I could talk to would be impatient and say to pull yourself together etc. Then you feel worse.

• Posted

hi a very good point and a good discusion! a question i ask my self alot .. i think alot are unhappy and lonely so mix this up with deep depression, i hope u get lots of comments on this thread.. very intresting x
    • Posted

Lol. Don't want hundreds of replies though, can get too much of a good thing. Being lonely is horrible, I know what that is like, but it is not depression, it is sadness caused by loneliness. Same as when someone hates their job or their partner. I was once very unhappily married and felt awful with it but knew it was not depression and knew the answer was my my own hands, I either had to get a divorce or make the most of it, so I got a divorce.
    • Posted

hi carmel. did u feel better after the devorce the thing you needed to do! im out of work and the loneliness gets to me alot lately im starting to think its my life thats causing me to be unhappy not depression x
    • Posted

Hi Julie, Yes I felt a lot better after the divorce, it was not easy as had no money, no family or friends to support me, nowhere to go, but I sorted it out because it was important to do that. My life is very different now, that was about thirty years ago. I work from home and am either working online writing to clients or on the phone with them or in a staff meeting or something and it helps to pass the day and means I
    • Posted

part two! am helping people and earning a living etc but it is very lonely cause none of them are people I have any connection or a relationship with, they are either speaking to me because I am helping them or paying their wages.

I am always busy with lots of things to do but how nice it would be to have someone care who makes me a cup of tea or sends me a birthday card or invites me to dinner or rings me for a chat. That would make me much happier.

While I am stuck at home not well it would make a huge difference.

• Posted

uve done really well, i have had a terrible time i live alone in a area im trying to get use to! been here a over a year but dont know anyone here, lost my job 9 months ago through something that happen to me and the support at work was no good! i was a cook worked hard to acheive this and did well then another cook came in and was lazy due to her weight i could see through her. made me ill as i was doing her job also! i get very down as im lonely i have booked my self in for some groups to get me out but have to wait as its a waiting list..i often ask my self am i unhappy which my life is or am i depressed..x
    • Posted

what do u do rea work! sounds intresting.. i know what u mean for someone to make us a brew would be lovely or a meal..be bliss
    • Posted

I studied and studied for years so that I could make sure I did something interesting workwise, being stuck in a boring job all day would not be for me and it can be avoided.

But I was thinking more of how nice it would be when you feel down to have someone cook the supper or hold your hand or just talk to you, maybe tidy up the house when you feel too ill, go to hospital with you etc but when you feel ok it is nice too to have someone to go out with, someone to invite over for a laugh and a coffee etc. The television is rather limited as company.

• Posted

im in the same boat. not knowing were to turn to for work i dont want a job were im unhappy! any tips would be good. god yes be lovely to meet friends so i could go out with them or a coffee and a laugh, 
    • Posted

Sorry you feel this way Julie, I know how it is. Workwise look at your qualifications and skills and what you can make of them.Think a lot of people do jobs they hate because theywould rather do that than study and learn and become qualified and skilled. Maybe getting more qualifications and learning new things would help as you would then be able to earn more and have more choice of jobs. Some people work online but that doesnt pay much, but maybe better than nothing and keeps you busy.
    • Posted

hi carmel . id love to work online i do work better on my own...last place i worked i was a cook in a large nursing home the staff were clicky and bitchy i couldnt fit in as im not like that. i was also a care worker before a cook for 13years they way care workers are treated is terrible! and low wages! love to work from home on line wouldnt know were to start! i agree with what u say people stay in unhappy jobs now adays which effects there health
    • Posted

Well if someone stays in a bad relationship or job it is their choice, at least they had the option to change things.

Why not try the work from home sites.

• Posted

how would i start to work on home sites, your right its there choice i seen so many unhappy people in my last job
    • Posted

Don't see how it is possible. You would have to set up a home catering business which could cost a great deal to set up and then advertise, plus an expensive website etc you would also need a special large kitchen with lots of equipment, and health certificates and proof you can cook very well. Don't think it is easy to make money out of what you enjoy, more likely to be out of what you can do than what gives you pleasure, and if you cant pay to set up a business etc then you hve to work for someone else and earn a lot less. The thing is that lots of people do not have qualifications and "skills" so they have to make do with boring badly paid work.
    • Posted

seems that is what i will have to do im a qualified care worker and worked as a cook for 2 years! maybe i should go into something else so hard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.