Depression question?

Posted , 5 users are following.

since increasing my citalopram to 20mg a week ago my depression seems to have hit me like a ton of bricks.

I know they say it gets worse before better but I thought that was because of side effects and anxiety.

is it normal for depression to get worse at the beginning too?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

of course potato.you have depression because you are stuck in limbo.

• Posted

yeah I get that x I've noticed that my depression gets worse on anything when I up the dose but 10mg doesnt do much for me x someone told me depression shouldn't get worse at first so i dunno anymore x

• Posted

i thought the cit had pooped out on you?

• Posted

yeah but sertraline nearly killed me x I was better on citalopram compared to without or sertraline. I'm back on my working dose but depression is off the scale x

• Posted

you are going to go thru those waves of depression and anxiety issues .is just a heighten effect from the meds .

• Posted

and all the changes your body has been going thru.know is just a matter of been really patience .

• Posted

sorry for miss spelling i meant to say now

• Posted

ive just gone up to 20mg too after just over a week on 10 and a week on 15mg. still feeling dreadful - anxious and depressed. im getting hammered by everything - latest anxiety symptom is shortness of breath which i had before i went on the meds last time. its so awful. just want to feel better but it feels like there is no light at the end of the tunnel. everything is much worse this time round - and much worse than before i started the meds.

• Posted

I feel you completely. I'm exactly the same atm. it's so scary isn't it x it's a relief to know we are both in the same situation so we know it's not just us.

I haven't had the shortness of breath though . I get horrible waves of depression or adrenaline. it's the worst.

x hope you're ok x

• Posted

thanks for replying. yes i get the depression and adrenalin too. am so tired today but just cant relax enough to sleep. i feel like im getting worse instead of better but the doctor just keeps saying be patient it takes time. at the moment i cant ever imagine feeling well again. i cant even sleep without medication. im only 2 days into 20mg (2 and a half weeks back on it) and the psych said its the minimum therapeutic dose so could take 4 weeks from here to feel effects. it worked far quicker last time so really worrying its not going to work and feeling really nervous about other options as lots of people like you say sertraline is awful. im sure in a bad place right now.

• Posted

so many other people in their reviews talk about how they felt so much better after 2 weeks and hardly had any side effects. how can we still believe that its going to work? i dont feel any better at all after nearly 3 weeks - in fact i think i feel worse - much more depressed now as the intense anxiety has been going on for so long

• Posted

that's exactly how I feel too 😓

everything you described is the same I couldn't have said it better myself.

it's so scary I really don't know what to do any more so we are both in the same boat.

first time round was a long time ago and cant really remember but I know I didnt struggle this much.

it worked a lot quicker the first time too x

do you have anything that helps with the anxiety at all until your meds settle a little bit more?

• Posted

Hi potatoghost,

i am back on sertraline 50mgs 3 weeks today. Hope it works for me again and citolapram for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.