Depression & weight changes - sertraline vs mirtazapine

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi - I've been depressed for some time, and have been taking Sertraline for the last two months (50mg at first, then up to 100mg). Although I feel that this has helped somewhat, I have real difficulty with sleeping and motivation to work which has been made university a real struggle. My doctor has since prescribed me Mirtazapine instead, as this should apparently help with sleep, but I've read lots of forums where people said that it caused them to gain weight. I actually lost weight whilst on Sertraline, so I wondered whether this might mean I wouldn't gain on Mirtazapine? Or are the two drugs very different - therefore meaning that I am still at risk? I ahve really low self esteem and really don't want to gain any weight.

Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi I take sertraline 150mg daily and I find it good.  I used to take mirtazapine but found it made me too sleepy and spaced out during the day which made work difficult. I had real problems sleeping too so my doctor kept me on those but only a low dose at night and it works well.  Try that.  x
  • Posted

Hi Rachel,

I'm a university student too! I tried Sertraline for anxiety/depression but felt that it didn't touch me. I'm now on 45mg of Mirtazapine. I find that it helps me get off to sleep, but my appetite is strange. Some days I won't be hungry at all, but then others I go through times of feeling REALLY hungry. As long as you stick to a balanced diet and try to exercise then the weight thing won't be a problem. Good luck x 

• Posted

As others have said this drug makes you really hungry so it depends on how you react to that in regards to food intake. 

The two drugs are very different and work in a very different way and they cannot really be compared. But they are often taken together to give a synergistic effect.

I think Mirtazapine from what I have read is like marmite, either you get on with it or you dont, no middle ground. I didn't get on with it but others on here do. At the end of the day try it for a month and see where you are.

Watch out for the sedation it can last all the next day, particulaly the first week or so. Try taking it as early in the evening as you can without it interferaing with your evening routing, like looking after kids etc. Do not drive until you know how it affects you.

• Posted

Rachel, I've had the same problem.

If you search for the medicine on the Internet, you'll find it and/or its brand name listed by the company that manufactures it. I believe all the side effects are listed. You might find that it doesn't cause weight gain. Or ask the doctor who prescribed it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.