Depression went away within 1 week, now it's back.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started Fluoxetine 9 days ago. Within the first week my depression went COMPLETELY away, as in I felt like myself for the first time in nearly a year. It was absolutely insane, this is my second antidepressant I've tried, and I never felt that much better on the previous one. After a week, I suddenly started feeling depressed again (mostly just tired, which is my main symptom).

I know it takes 4-6 weeks to experience the full effects. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? If I felt that good for the first week, can I expect that that's how I will feel when the antidepressant takes full effect?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Please don't worry, the same thing happened to me but just over two weeks, I felt as though the black cloud had lifted, but within two days I felt far worst, then I would have a blip after several days of one day feeling good and then about a week feeling just awful, it took me almost five months to feel myself again, I had every side effect no sleep could'nt eat, lost three stone, shaking, fast heart beat, but now I feel myself again happy and enjoying my meals and sleeping, its a wonderful feeling, but you have to think positive and be patient, every one is different, its called blips when you think you are better and then it returns.

You will get better it will happen, you need to continue the fluoxetine at least six months after you feel better, and then remain on a low dose.

Good Luck.

• Edited

This really is completely normal. It comes and goes, But over time it really does get better. I know it's hard to hear, and that you probably want to get better now! But it's worth the wait - really. I can't get over how much this helped me. Good luck with it.

• Posted

Daniel,

Maybe you need to incorporate another medication, such as Vyvanse or Adderall to your therapy.

• Edited

Hi Daniel

You will get better with the fluoxetine alone, my Doctor was not keen on any other combination, he told me to just stick with the fluoxetine and I did, but increased the dose after 3 weeks had worse side effects, but I finally got better, and you will too.

keep fighting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.