depression worse with menopause

Posted , 7 users are following.

As a sufferer of depression over many years with many good years this last year has been hell. Coming up and then going back down again. I feel the menopause has something to do with me not being able to stay stable. Can anyone relate to me.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi kat, Yes, hormone imbalance can cause depression and anxieties. Many years ago when my doctor prescribed hrt for physical menopausal symptoms he said " don't forget about the emotional side of menopause".

Cut down on stimulants  in foods and pastimes. Practise meditation and gentle exercises. 

• Posted

Hello, Kat. I've suffered depression and anxiety ( with panic attacks on and off. ) for many years and am currently on Paroxetine.

I had a good few years when everything was stable and I was coping.

My peri-menopause started in my early to mid fifties and I began to notice my anxiety was rearing it's head again. Depression was still relatively stable then. I'm 60 now and post??!! menopausal with the various 'physical' problems which can occur.

I was referred to a gynaecologist at the hospital and she prescribed a low dose of vaginal oestrogen.

My depression and anxiety has come back along with panic and bouts of crying.

I suspect the oestrogen is what's causing the mood swings and depression to fluctuate more than usual.

The majority of we women do suffer various symptoms at different times and different levels of severity.

You could book an appointment with your GP or practice nurse to get some help. Many surgeries run a well-woman clinic, that's another option. Sometimes just being able to post about things on this forum helps.

Whatever you decide, just know that you're not alone.

• Posted

Yes I most certainly agree. I''m peri and have been for 8 months now, at first I could tolerate these mood swings but as time has gone on it's getting worse to the position  now that I'm seeking medical help. I'm slowly getting very depressed about everything. Making matters worse. I suffer with migranes and when I feel low my migranes kick in and I'm just going round and round in circles. I'm going back to the doctors to see doctor number 3 because the other 2 (one being a lady) both turned me away telling me I was not peri, I'm 46 !!!!!. So I'm hoping to get help off doctor number 3? So YES I'm definitely in with you and so agree that peri has most definitely plays a big part. I'm sick of these  migranes, mood swings, depression !!!.
  • Posted

Thank you all for your replies, although I'd hate anyone to suffer its nice to know that people know how im feeling. Thanks again
  • Posted

Hi Kat. I certainly can relate. I'm currently waiting for the GP to call me as my depression is coming back with a vengeance. I'm 52 and nearly made it to the 12 month without period mark twice. Currently 9 months without one. Have been suffering with depression on & off most my life. Came off Escitalopram 8 weeks ago as GP wanted to see what I'm like now without any AD in system. That was a bad move and I'm close to a breakdown - been building up over past 3 weeks. I've been on most of the ADs in my life, so not sure which one to try again, but definitely need something. You just know when you're in that dark hole again, don't you. My GP also prescribed HRT on Friday (cyclic progynova) for hot flushes and night sweats. May I ask if you are on HRT and does the Paroxetine suit you? I'm so up and down at the minute and phoned in sick at work this morning (again). Just can't concentrate and no energy, tearful and all over the place right now x
    • Posted

Hi Petra,

try Sertraline (Zoloph) excellent anti-depressant and VITAMIN B12 (a must). I have changed my diet and started to eat fruit +++, fresh vegetables +++ and oily fish. I have stopped eating some of the things which I felt were comforting me such as chocolates and cakes. Will let you know if this has helped as I only began this new regime about 3 weeks ago and feel that I need more time before I will feel a difference.

Good luck hun

XXXwink

• Posted

Hey, Petra...I don't know if you'll see this as it's been a while since your post. Your comment, "I'm so up and down at the minute and phoned in sick at work this morning (again). Just can't concentrate and no energy, tearful and all over the place right now" resonates with me. I have been treated for depression and anxiety since my early 20s. I'm now 48 and have been experiencing terrible mood swings for nearly a year. Like you, my depression has been well-treated for many years. However, menopausal mood swings have really thrown me for a loop. I have the ability to work from home, and I've taken advantage of that ability today because I simply can't leave the house. I move from hopelessness to anger and everything in between, all of which makes me cry. I've seen one GYN who prescribed estrogen which is either not working or making my symptoms worse. My psychiatrist referred me to a GYN who specializes in treating women with a history of depression for menopausal symptoms. I've done some research and am sad to say that there is very little information out there about women with a history of mood disorders who are now experiencing menopause-related mood swings. However, I did find one article that discusses the risks/benefits of hormone therapy in combination with a variety of antidepressants (TCAs , SSRIs, SNRIs, testosterone). I'm in the US, so I'm not sure of the availability of these drugs in the UK. Thank you for sharing. 

• Posted

Sure can,

I also suffer with depression but have found it is much harder to control since becoming per-meno/menopausal.

I take Sertraline which does control some of the effects of low mood. However, I am so much more emotional than I used to be and instead of having a build up of obvious PMT mood swings for 7-10 days I find I am continually unstable mood wise. As I don't get periods (or very infrequently) I have no idea at what point I am in my cycle, it's horrendous, not having the release of the menstration.

I completely EMPATHISE with you and only wish I could help hun

Take care and try to stay positive XXX 

• Posted

Hello Mrs Merm. Thank you so much for your reply. Did you suffer much of the side effects when you started the Sertraline? I've heard they can give you nausea / digestive problems initially. I certainly need to start something stronger because the SJW is just not touching my depression & anxiety.

Thank you again for kind words and empathy.

💐🌾👍. XX

• Posted

Mrs Mermaid, I'm sorry to but in on your conversation, can I ask a question to you please?. Yesterday  I was put on Sertraline by the doctor. As I sufferr from Migranes and have done for probably 20+years. Was on Zomig for when a attack began, then couple of years ago I was put on Sumertription and again when a attack happens, Christmas the migranes got worse and the doctor put on Propanolol 80mg each day as a slow rellease, as I'm peri and have been for 8months I'm 46 and a lot of the symptoms. With my mood swings getting to much I had to seek medical help as when I felt depressed/ miserable down in the dumps ( more frequent now due to feeling depressed as I'm peri). The following day I would get a migrane!. Anyhow the doctor has put me onto Sertraline for the first 4 days to take half a tablet and then to take 1 full tablet. What r the side effects? If any? Is there a best time to take them? I take Propanolol 7.30am each morning! After this tablet? Or at night ? R they any good? Will they help with my mood swings? Sorry it's just with you on them it's good advice off someone like yourselfxx
  • Posted

Menopause does have an effect on depression and anxieties. My anxieties were really bad with my menopause. 

It does get better if you get on a antidepressant 

• Posted

Yep I understand.  I did have some anxiety prior to menopause anxiety has been awful.  Well that was before HRT which lessened my physical symptoms which reduced my anxiety as I was convinced I was seriously ill.  I also had terrible paranoia and just general unhappiness! I have been prescribed a beta blocker, propanaol.  This has helped!! Feeling lkke this is just soul destroying but this pause of life does pass I am told; well gosh I hope so.  Good luck.XX
    • Posted

Yes it does pass, My anxieties have lessend a lot. Did feel a little anxious today. I am taking estradiol, provera, Ativan, Neurontin up to 3 times daily, and Trazadone for sleep, and Losartan, and Levothyroxine and my vitamin d3 and my multivitamin. 

But the anxieties will come and go at times but not as bad 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.