Depression worsening ... Giving up

Posted , 3 users are following.

Been well on 225mg venlafaxine for 3 years having been on it for 6 in total.

Became ill in November. Dr added mirtazapine 30mg for anxiety. I tried this 10 years ago with limited impact.

Depression lifted slowly over the next 4-5 months. I was much better from

April. Psych suggested I reduced mirtazapine to 15mg.

A week later I am borderline suicidal.

I think venlafaxine works better for me so wondering whether to just increase that instead.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

give the mirtazapine a chance to enter your system for a few weeks to see if it is effective as a dose.  If you are still suicidal then go and get another version.
  • Posted

Hi,

Antidepressant medication is a very delicate balance, as any of us who have been on drugs for any length of time knows. Also, different meds work for different people. It sounds as if you had a good balance of the Venlafaxine and the Mirtazapine (two drugs that I've tried in the past and didn't get on with due to the side effects). Can you discuss going back to your original dose with your psychiatrist or doctor? If you are feeling suicidal, don't leave things too long. The fact that you have seen an improvement recently probably means that the drugs are not working as effectively on the reduced dosage. Don't be afraid to ask for the help that you deserve and need. I hope things improve for you very soon and you start to feel better. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.