Depressive episodes after 4 months

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey .. I've been on 20mg of citalopram for about 4 months. I'm on it for panic / panic disorder and anxiety. My family doc is really bad. Not thorough, not engaged.

So my anxiety has gotten better. It hasn't gone away, and it does manifest every day in some way.. whether it's a low impact panic attack, or an overall feeling of unreality and discinnect, which feeds the panic. bUT I am more functional than before I started taking it. I still have to take a half of an Ativan every so often to take the edge off.

Anyway, very recently I started having these moods. Very low, very detached. Thoughts of disappearing , thoughts of sinking ... Which has never been something I've experienced. I have not had a problem with depression before. Has anyone else experienced this? Those who are taking the medication for anxiety? Is it the medication causing these episodes, or the facts that I'm so damn tired of the constant stress of anxiety? I made an appointment tnomorw morning with my doctor .. but since she is basically useless and will probably just automatically give me a dosage increase , I'd like to go in with as much information as I can . Thanks y'all !!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I'm no expert but you may actually need the increase in dose. I felt much better when I went up to 30mg. Is it possible for you to change Drs??? Also maybe have some counselling???

• Posted

Hi there! 

I’m currently on week 5 of 20mg and I also have thoughts of disappearing and not wanting to be around whilst I feel this way. I started the medication for anxiety and panic - which effected me so much a very low mood started. I would obviously suggest speaking to your GP (or maybe a different GP) just to be sure on what’s going on! 

I also have a therapist and she told me that the anxiety causes thoughts like that. They’re called intrusive thoughts and they stem from anxiety and panic! So in a way, the thoughts are completely normal and we all get them, it’s how our body and brain react to them that make all the difference! 

I hope I’ve helped you 

Good luck! X

• Posted

I am having a similar experience but my doctor is very open and easy to talk to. The side effects are extensive and what you list are included, I'm now taking 30mg daily for depression and low mood/suicidal thoughts, I do still have these but no-where near as much although they are bad when they happen. My advice is to engage with a doctor who is sympathetic and who listens to you, this is a big part of the battle.There is no perfect pill but Citalopram is close to it.

I wish you the best of luck and my thoughts are with you, don't give up.

Psal

• Posted

I have been celexa for 6 weeks and just started 20mgs. I am still struggling and it is horrible. I used to be an upbeat person with a zest in life.  

When did you start feeling relief from the medicine? 

I am assuming someone will chime in here that has expirance with dosage increases. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.