deprivation of capital.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

Reading material on here, what does deprivation of capital mean? I have a mortgage and I am on contributionary esa support group. Contributionary because I had  ill health retirement after a spinal tumour and brain tumour affected my health, 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

As far as I'm aware it means when you have say £16000 in the bank and you try to spend it on things not absolutely nescassarry, like buying your mum say a car when it's really for you and depriving yourself of savings. That's my take on it, others might be able to explain it better

• Posted

I  went through a lot of tribunals with the CSA when they kept giving my ex nil assessments I did some research and claimed on the grounds of Deprivation of income,  so not sure if similar - in his case it was his saying he had no income  (supposedly not working ) for the sole purpose of not having money to pay maintenance- it went through several tribunals and to children’s commission as he was a self employed builder claiming he wasn’t working. I won. 

But as I understand it, it is claiming you don’t have something so you don’t have to pay or get something - so it could be you are depriving yourself or saying you don’t have some capital so you can claim Benefit ? 

• Posted

By the way I and the tribunal panel all knew he was working , doing nil tax returns etc so he was depriving himself of an income on paper to avoid paying for his son. 

I found this on line - 

Any spending done specifically to be able to claim benefits is likely to be classed as Deprivation of Capital. For example blowing a couple of grand on a fancy new TV. 

• Posted

Hi Alexandria is correct with her advice. Although because you claim Contribution based benefits then savings/capital don't affect you. Unless you're claiming an Income related top up of your ESA and then it would affect this. The top up means than anything over £110ish per week would mean you're claim an Income related top up (premiums).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.