Depth perception....

Posted , 8 users are following.

....at the risk of sounding Really uneducated, does anyone know if when experiencing double vision, is your depth perception greatly affected? Are they one and the same? I'm asking cuz while watching tv, for instance, I'm seeing two pictures...one right on top of another. But while typing this, (for instance) I'm having a difficult time thinking that my finger's on the keyboard when it's still a bit off. Does that make sense?? I know I'm not doing a good job at describing this, but I hope someone understands what I'm trying to say.

I'm trying to get as much info/questions as possible to go "armed" to my surgery consult on Tuesday!

Thanks all!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I don't think you need worry too much about "gathering evidence" - it will require a detailed eye exam and they can probably see more about the potential causes than you can tell them! Eye doctors see into your soul wink  and an eye exam can diagnose far more than you would expect. It isn't long now.

https://www.thevisiontherapycenter.com/discovering-vision-therapy/bid/53555/the-causes-of-double-vision

This should suggest the info you need to be aware of knowing: is the double vision vertical or side by side; is it permanent or only when you are tired, does distance make a difference - that sort of thing.

The fact you find depth perception a problem is to be expected I think. Are your eyes "dry"? - do you have copious thin tears at times? 

• Posted

Yes!! Tearing all the time! Again, much more so in my right eye.
    • Posted

So don't forget to mention it. Not unusual with autoimmune disorders and can be a cause of double vision. 

• Posted

Hi lynda62707

I do understand where your coming from. Double vision is missalignment of the eyes as if you go crosseyed and see double. This is sometimes due to a weak eye muscle, something wrong with the cornea or cataract causing a problems..🤔. It's no good speculating lynda you need to have your eyes checked by an opti.....hope all goes well at your surgery consultation on Tuesday...keep us posted....good wishes that all is well..

• Posted

My first stroke presented in the exact same way you're talking about. And I knew nothing about Strokes so I didn't do anything about it that day. I urge you to go to the emergency room so they can determine if it's a stroke. They have to do a CT to see if it's a stroke.

• Posted

I used to get double vision when I had too much coffee at work years ago.  I still get it for an hour or two sometimes but don't know the cause.  I do have dry eye now.  I didn't then.

• Posted

Thx peggy, I too have dry eyes but I'm pretty sure that's not causing my double vision....I have an "atypical" cataract in my rgt eye which I'm told needs surgery ASAP! I go for a consultation tomorrow.

For what ever reason, I'm really struggling right now...teary and anxious,...trying hard to navigate my way thru all the changes happening.

This all is TRULY challenging me! But....I'm determined to come out a stronger person!

So thankful for this forum!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.