Depth thoughts and questions…

Posted , 5 users are following.

So for those of you who have gotten monovision in the mini version or not, is “depth perception” really that big an issue? The reason I ask is I have been experimenting with mini monovision for awhile, all the way from Plano in one eye and -.75 to -2 in the other. And to me, depth perception really in not an issue at my chosen favorite refraction (-1.25 to -1.50)as I am still getting so much information from the myopic eye when viewing far/intermediate and the same for the Plano eye when viewing intermediate and close. True loss of depth perception for me looks like when you have closed one eye completely. So any feedback from you all is appreciated.

Which leads me to the next question. Assuming NO cataract… Once one has presbyopia and is fairly sure all accomodation is gone, does your natural lens actually still get more depth of focus than a single vision IOL in the vision range where presbyopia is not involved? And is this because the structure of the natural lens is shaped differently than the IOL, because the natural lens is wider from anterior surface to posterior surface? Important questions indeed…thank you

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have not noticed any significant loss of depth perception with mini-monovision and it does not cause me any issues of note. I think I have mentioned before that when I am pruning my rose bushes it does slow me down a little bit in making sure I am pruning the right branch when I am working very close to me. The only impact is that I may miss a cut or two.

No I don't think the natural lens gets any more depth of focus than a single vision IOL. However I found that even at age 72 or so I still had some depth perception in my natural lens eye, although it was not a lot.

• Posted

I don't have a depth perception problem now, but I did with cataracts and progressive eyeglasses.

Another person may have the opposite experience.

Hope that helps.

• Posted

I never perceived a depth perception problem even when I had full monovision years ago with contacts. The worst I ever experienced was when driving - occasionally I'd realize I was closing in on another car too much and have to do more abrupt braking than usual. Never hit anything because of it.

My guess is some people just adjust better than others. I had an eye injury in my 20s, and one eye was patched. I still drove with the one eye and had no problems doing it. My father was blind in one eye from an early age, was in construction, had a good driving record, and never seemed limited by it.

Interestingly, the last year or two I am noticing a slight problem but it's not depth perception. For things that require aiming, like swatting a fly, I'm always off a little to one side. I figure that's got to do with the cataracts in some way as even corrected one eye sees things more blurry than the other.

• Edited

"So for those of you who have gotten monovision in the mini version or not, is “depth perception” really that big an issue? "

It was no issue at all for me. I noticed no change whatsoever in depth perception at any distance, when I got monovision.

• Edited

If you want the conclusions from a study rather than just opinions, have a look at the graph below. Depth perception or stereoacuity was measured in individuals with varying amounts of anisometropia (difference in refraction between the eyes). What they found was that there was a slight drop when anisometropia went from 1.0 D to 1.5 D, but a much larger drop when going from 1.5 D to 2.0 D. The conclusion was that 1.5 D was the optimum anisometropia for monovision.

https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Optimal-amount-of-anisometropia-for-pseudophakic-Hayashi-Yoshida/dd8837a9151a536759f195a18d4fa94a0fbf0f90

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.