Derby NHS end Prescriptions for coeliacs.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anybody explain the following please, G/F & W/F flour is available at most supermarkets for around £1.70 for 1000g. The NHS only supply "GLUTAFIN" G/F & W/F on prescription,this is available to buy privately priced extortionally high at around £15 per 1000g, 9 times more expensive ????????. There is also similar price differences on other items like bread and cereals etc. Derbyshire NHS have just notified Coeliacs that there will be NO more prescriptions for G/F items to save costs. Have the persons within the NHS who have been authorising this scandal now been reprimanded or sacked???.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You don't have to pay that price. Dove's Farm sell gluten free flour at £1.70 per kilo and there are many other brands. It's daft having the NHS give a prescription for glutafin at that price when an alternative is available wildly at a reasonable cost. There is so much choice nowadays, companies competing for custom, that the prices will soon be inline with 'normal' products. 50 years ago I remember the bread in a tin and the dry chocolate biscuits. They probably were very expensive for the NHS to buy and not something your average family could afford to buy even if it were in the shops, hence given on prescription. Thankfully times have changed.

• Posted

Hi Maggie 1966, Nice of you to read my comment and reply, I do buy my G/F- W/F flour from super markets at £1.70 per 1000g's but you seem to have totally missed the point of my post, which is why do the NHS only authorise "GLUTAFIN" Flour on prescription at £15 per 1000g's when surely they could authorise Dove Valley  flour at a fraction of the cost saving them a fortune.

IE, 1 Tonne "Glutafin" Flour = £15000. 1Tonne "Dove Valley" Flour = £1700.   = an 89% saving and that's a serious amount of money that surely could be put to better use.!

• Posted

I think the Glutafin has all the nutrients needed by someone with coeliac disease. This is what I have been told, the GF prescriptive stuff has more nutrients.  Not that the extortionate cost is acceptable! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.