derealisation and anxiety-8 months and still going strong please help me!

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello im 16 and to be honest i guess ive been through alot over the past years however i was faced with my biggest challenge 8 months ago when my nan died. A few days prior to this i tried hash brownies with my mates and i had an anxiety attack whilst i was high. it was the worst feeling ever my whole body went a sort of numb feeling and i felt like i was really disconneted from my body and the world, i also got these horrible hot and cold flashes of tempreture running through out my body. and i have been having them ever since then they are about 1/2 weeks apart from each other currently. baring in mind i had only ever tried weed about 2 other times and was a couple of years ago im not a heavy smoker. now im not sure if these 'anxitey attacks' are even anxiety attacks to be honest however i do know that it has caused me to have survere anxiety ever since and has also brought on this derealisation state that i have all the time 24/7 and is so horrible i have distanced my self from my family because they dont really understand what it is and arent very helpful at times aha. also im not sure what this is but i feel like my mind and body are two different people and its really scary, i dont know how to stop these thoughts im having about life and the world in general.  i have seen my doctor about this and he hasnt treated it very seriousy he just gave me some sleeping tablets and thats it, i am currently trying to book an appointment to see him again. i also have a counsellor who i see once a week and she tries to do some cbt(cognitive behavoural therapy)  with me but i dont feel like anything is helping and things are geting increasingly bad. i just would love to be able to cope with this condition if i can not get rid of it which i dont feel like im doing right now. please reply back to this if anyone has ever felt like this or has any adivice it would be really appriciated thank you! 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi bexamy,

I have smoked cannabis alot of times, but not for quite a few years now. I dont recomend smoking cannabis or smoking in general obviously for health reasons.

When I was not much older than you I ate some cannabis, and never having had it before had no idea really how much I was having. I then experiened one of the most frightening 'trips' I can imagine with vision and sound distortion, hot flushes, very bad palpitations and panic.  I was with some good friends, and I told them what I had done, and they comforted me and reassured me and got me through it.   

After that I started smoking it, and got really used to it - I'm not particularly proud to this I hasten to add!!  I also remember the first time I took valium/diazepam. It was a small dose, and I was a bit worried about it, and then kept imagining it was giving me all sorts of weird feelings.

Again, I took it subsequently, and got really used it - I'm definitely not proud of this - in fact I'm still trying to stop taking it currently by reducing the amount gradually.

The thing is that when you take something which you expect to have some mind and physical altering effects sometimes you end up imagining all sorts of things that are not actually due to the substance at all.  In fact experiments have been done where for example a group of people have been given some drinks, some containing alcohol and some not, and they all thought they were all told they were drinking alcohol. When asked to describe how they felt after a few drinks the people with the non-alcohol drinks said they felt quite drunk.  The point is that if you believe you will experience a feeling, very often you do.

I'm not trivialising your'e experience, but I can assure you that it did not harm you at all, and you certainly wouldnt still be getting effects from it after this long. So just relax and put it down to experience!!

• Posted

Hello bexamy I know exactly how you feel! Do you find yourself thinking wierd thoughts about humans? Like I can't believe that I can talk and think? Everything just seems really wierd, I suffer from aniexty! It might be your aniexty getting the best of you?
  • Posted

I've been having nearly the same experience for a month after cannabis. Everything just feels so different and unfamiliar and every day passes and I feel like it never happened or it's a different world every day. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.