Derealization when outside!!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

This has been going on for a while but Its getting worse. I suffer from BAD derealization when out

(Only when walking or standing) that's the crazy part. The other day I went and see my sister in law

I actually drove to her house by myself just me and my 4 year old son which was huge deal to me I was so happy about it. Well then it hurt me when I was fixing to leave as I was walking to my car the derealization kicked in as I got closer to my car it was like my car was moving away from me once I got into my car I was able to sit down call my mom and it stopped. Then I was outside trying to play soccer with my son and the derealization hit again!

No reason I hadn't been outside for maybe 5 minutes it was like the ground was moving, like I couldn't walk up the steps to go inside this time I went into a full blown panic attack which lasted for about 30 minutes

Now I don't want to be outside at all.

It seems like being outside causing the derealization which sends me into a panic attack

And even certain lights at store causing ithe.

Let's just say I can't go to stores at night time cause they are to bright.

Has anyone else ever went through this?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Absolutely I have had this happen.    Believe me, many many people go through the realization and I know how horrible it can be. 

you said one thing that was interesting. When you called your mom, it stopped.

in other words, when even for just a minute or two your brain was calmed down, the derealization subsided. 

this is the power of our minds! Anxiety and stress starts in the brain. When we are feeling anxious about something our brain sends out the hormone adrenaline because it thinks we are in danger and it's trying to protect us. 

adrenaline has many effects on the body including increased heart rate, increased breathing,  etc. When we are feeling extremely anxious, another way our brain tries to protect us is the derealization .  It tries to shield us from parts of life that make us anxious.    I have actually had that while driving and it was very strange and scary when things did not look or feel familiar  as though everything was kind of hazy.  My vision is perfectly normal. The neurologist told me it's depersonalization due to extreme stress. 

What happens is that fear takes us over. We have to not let that happen.

The only way to decrease or eliminate this is by calming  down the brain. 

Anxiety is caused mainly by fear. We can't let fear take us over.  So how do we calm down the brain?

some things that have helped me tremendously are: 

audio meditations for stress and anxiety found on YouTube. I use my earbuds and lay down to listen a couple times a day

Completely calm down my mind and body and teach us how to deal with negative thoughts. A couple I really like are called  clearing subconscious negativity,  guided meditation for detachment from overthinking. There are so many to choose from. I think they could help you very much!  The more you do this, the more your brain will believe them and you will be more in control. 

or a panic attack, search YouTube for panic attack emergency. Several to choose from. 

I also can't stand bright lights. I have had the feeling that things are moving. 

ALL DUE TO OVERWHELMING STRESS AND ANXIETY!

our brains in nervous system can only handle so much stress. So when it is super overloaded, the stress comes out as symptoms, including derealization . We have to get more control. If you're ever able to , Pick up a book called mindfulness. It teaches us how to manage all of this and it's definitely worth the read! 

be a fighter for yourself! Don't forget to laugh and smile even when it's difficult. Just remember, our kids grow up very fast so don't miss out on enjoying your child. Once a day is gone,  we can never get it back! 

Try not to overreact to even the derealization because when you do the brain will send out more adrenaline and you will become more anxious which leads to the panic attack.   Just calmly acknowledge the D realization or any symptom and then let it go and get on with what you were doing.  Or go listen to one of the meditations to calm down your brain. Just don't react with anxiety. You have to be relentless at this. Another thing I did was speak with a counselor  Who specializes in anxiety. This has helped me a lot. The counselor can help you get to the core of why you have anxiety in the first place. 

One thing to remember is that any symptoms related to anxiety cannot hurt you. 

you said the D realization is getting worse but you can reverse that once you get to manage this a little better. You can do this! 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!

It helped alot reading it. depersonalization and derealization I never understood the difference. I believe I had a spell of depersonalization the other night in walmart with my mom. The lights was just so bright it was late that night when we was there and it was like when I looked at her or talked to her she wasn't really, like we wasn't there almost like I was having a dream I just had to fight threw it. It was a crazy feeling. And then the feeling like the car was moving away from me when I was walking to it I feel like I'm going crazy sometimes lol

And it scares me to be out and to be out with my kids. I actually have two kids

I am missing out so much of their life and I am a horrible mother I never take them anywhere, I never play with them , take them outside cause I always worry about the panic attacks and the derealization/depersonalization and maybe something happening to them when I take the spells. I'm fighting hard to get over this but it's been a year now that I have been going though it. I will forsure try the youtube and look into getting the book

• Posted

Is there anyway you can speak with a counselor about this? I know sometimes people cannot afford it but many times in a local community you can get free or low-cost counseling with someone who specializes in anxiety. 

also I forgot to mention something else that helps me a lot. It's slow deep breathing. The reason for this is that it takes your mind  away from the worry about the derealization and panic.  Because remember, the more you worry about it the more it's going to happen. You have to almost have an attitude of "oh well. I can handle it. I'm not afraid. "Rather than "oh no what if this happens? "    That's the attitude I know have and my symptoms have a greatly diminished. My brain feels much Calmer. All the what if thinking is what gets us super anxious and symptoms happen. 

as far as the kids go,  you are not a bad mother, you're just going through a difficult time. they do need to know that their mom wants to do things with them. It's really important to their development  and a sense of security.  And emotional growth.

Maybe in the beginning just spend some time with them doing simple things in your house like reading to them, cuddling with them on the couch,   Tell them how much you love them,  play a simple game, laugh  with them etc. . It's the simple times with mom that are so important to them. It doesn't matter what you're doing.That means the world to them!  And they will always remember those simple times with you when they're older!   😀

• Posted

Hi. I find writing here so helpful. I suffer more from anxiety which does have some very strange side effects , phsical and mental. Wanted to reply as your problem sounds just as horrid . Can I say ( Jan) is a really great help , hope she and others can reassure you. I say this all the tome( your not alone) . Keep talking here , don,t live inside your own head❤️
  • Posted

I completely understand. You replied to one of my threads and it really gave me some solace so I thought you might have some other symptoms that I could relate to and the derealization is one. My first anxiety attacks started earlier this year and caused me to see the room stretching or make me feel like I was falling through the floor. But the longest it has ever lasted for me was about 15 minutes. Also made me feel really disconnected with my self. And lately my eyes have been super sensitive to everything: light, air, sweat, etc. And it's a quick way to kick off an attack. It seems like any place you have a panic attack can instantly cause you to recall that memory and set you off again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.