Dermatitis/Cheilitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had red skin (like a rash) around the corners of my mouth for about 4-5 months. I've been to my dermatologist several times. They first told me it was angular cheilitis and then told me it was most likely contact dermatitis. They have given me three different creams, none of them have worked. I tried patch testing. Found that I am allergic to Thimerosol, but none of my household products have that chemical in it. I have tried changing all of my products that come into contact with my skin and nothing has changed. I have also tried moisturizers to go with the cream and that hasnt worked either. I am not sure what else to do. Any advice?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I have had a red rash all around my mouth for quite some time now ,i use zinc cream at night (sudocrem) spread thinly then shea butter to moisturise or emulsifying ointment ..Avene cicalfate has zinc in it so use that when it is not too bad..I also take a zinc supplement too. Hope this helps good luck.
  • Posted

Hi brendan2855, it would help to know what creams were prescribed to you. I am only guessing preparations containing anti-bacterial or anti-fungal agents or cortico-steroids

To promote the healing of your lips you should avoid wetting them with your tongue. This can become a habit, especially if the lips are dry and cracked. A barrier cream containing zinc, like suggested by susan74148, could help. 

To prevent re-infection with yeasts and bacteria that are naturally occurring in our saliva you could use an anti-bacterial mouthwash (e.g. one containing Clotrimazole). A chronic re-infection with Candida albicans is sometimes found in adolescent patients wearing dental orthotics or older patients wearing dentures

In addition to Zinc (which plays a role in our immune system), other deficiencies can cause angular cheilitis e.g. a lack of iron, vitamin B2, folic acid, vitamin B12, or niacin.

Some years ago I found out that I was allergic to an ingredient in my toothpaste. However, it did not only affect the corners of my lips but the entire area around my mouth. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.